•  
Advertise here

2002 Coupe - Ownership Report

ROJ

I would like to share the story of my 2002 Coupe 2.0 Automatic.

i have bought the car at the beginning of July 2009 and had it for more than 2 years. The previous owner at the time was selling it in a hurry for some AED 5000 less than the market price. I found it as a catch due to the fact that during that time the economic recession hit and alot of cars were going away for dirt cheap.

The model I bought was one of the early GK generation. The car wan an entry model, it had power windows, cassette player and central lock as the only luxuries. The car came with wheel caps, 1 driver side airbag and no-ABS brakes.

It was Gulf Specs, bought from Juma Al Majid by its first owner, which I assume and based on its previous papers and booklets spent most of its life in Al Ain.

I contacted the owner and asked him to meet me at Emirates Fast Track for a full inspection. The car was clean and spotless, the engine was pretty smooth and quiet, they didnt even recommend to do a compression check. Though the following has been spotted during inspection:

1. Rust Spots on various areas where water got trapped in the past, I assume the owner lived next to a beach.

2. Had to replace 2 old tires.

3. Oil has not been changed for some over 3000 kms. I flushed it later on a switched to semi synthetic oil.

4. One of the CV boots/joints were worn off and I wasnt bothered changing them until they started becoming extremely noisy.

5. Minor wear and tear such as dents, scratches and a broken passenger door internal handle.

6. Vibration from old engine mounts.

I have considered that none of the above is a big problem for its age and the fact that it was selling for a very cheap price with a mileage of 72,000 Km at the time.

During the two years the car was taken to a couple of autocross rounds, driven it to Muscat and used on a daily basis in traffic and highways. The car never let me down with exception to having a dead battery twice and a leaking radiator.

MAINTENANCE REPORT:

The car had the following replaced over a period of 2 years from July 2009 till July 2011:

1. Timing Belt Kit: AED 240 + AED 500 labor = AED 740

2. Driver and Passenger side Constant Velocity Joints (non-OEM): approx. AED 700 including Labor

3. Belt Bearing (rain water damage): AED 200 + AED 50 labor = AED 250

4. Spark Plugs: AED 25 X 2 = AED 50

5. Interior Parts: Passenger Side Door Handle and A/C Fan Knob: AED 60

6. Broken Exterior Passenger Door Handle: AED 75

6. Radiator (non-OEM): AED 250 + AED 200 labor = AED 450

7. Engine and Gearbox Mounts: AED 650 + AED 400 labor = AED 1050

8. Tires (6) - 195,65,R15 (2 new ones went flat, bad luck): AED 250 x 6 = AED 1500

9. Front and Rear Brake Pads (2 sets): AED 320 + AED 100 labor = AED 420 x 2 = AED 840

10. Automatic Gearbox Oil: AED 70

11. Battery: AED 320

12. Light Bulbs: AED 24

13. Engine Valve Cover Gasket: AED 45 (Installed it myself, labor would be AED 100 probably)

14. Engine Flushes: AED 200

15. Wheel Balancing and Alignment: AED 200

16. Oil Changes (Castrol Magnatec 10W-40): AED 125 per oil change on 2 month intervals, including Filter and Labor Fees (TOTAL = AED 125 x 12 = 1500)

TOTAL GENERAL MAINTENANCE COSTS (including labor fees and excluding Oil Changes) = AED 6550 /2= 3275 per year

Misc Costs:

1. Pioneer Head Unit: AED 380 (Installed by self)

2. Pioneer 400W Rear Speakers: AED 165 (Installed by self)

3. Original K&N Filter: AED 180 (Intake Pipes are excluded as they came as a gift)

4. K&N Cleaning and Re-Oiling Kit: AED 60

5. Floor Mats: AED 50

Current Costs:

Body Paint Job and rust curing at a reputable garage: AED 3500

Expected Maintenance for the rest of the year:

1. Full Computer Diagnostic Check

2. Crank Shaft Sensor

3. Fuel Filter

4. Drive Belts

Verdict

I have bought the car in a hurry If I was careful I could have potentially saved some AED 3000 worth of repairs and maintenance still the vehicle did cost much less than the market price so I do not regret anything nor=did I lose money.

A used car does not cost 1/2 of that of a new car yet there's a constant duty of keeping an eye on the vehicle as to ensure that it stays in running condition. Also, higher mileage will mean more major parts will potentially need replacement unless the previous owner has carried out some of the maintenance which could make that car more of a bargain.

• 1 year later...

Add an extra AED 1800 for A/C repair and a AED 300 for an AEM dry flow performance filter (far better than oil filter, easier to clean and filters like OEM paper filters)..

Hence a total: of AED 6550 + 1800 + 300 = 5375 /3 years of ownership = approx AED 3000 per year for maintenance..

I also swapped to Shell 5W-50 fully synthetic oil (10,000 km oil) (AED 170 per 4 liters) which is the best oil I ever used by far, very noticeable difference in performance..

I still own the car; personally am starting to get bored of it as I want a real sports car and i get upset to see all the dings and scratches some inconsiderate people left on the fresh paint job...

Still, I love it and I will keep it for a long time and perhaps drive it until the drivetrain simply dies.. I would probably even drop a new engine and keep it going...

I am considering buying coil overs and wheel spacers to match the set of Lenso (the best of the worst brands perhaps) 17" rims (AED 1500) I recently got in October last year; along with a hood lifts to turn it into a sleek 'stance' car..

In the future I hope to get myself a Toyota 86 as a long term car; it drives like a giant go-kart, I just loved that car regardless of what people say it is awesome..

Coupe1.jpg