•  
Advertise here

Q45 overheating

Sent you an email on it, he claims he put a NEW water pump and took the "air" out, I don't know really what I'm up against.

vicky wrote:

> You might have choked radiator or the water pump could be defective. 1997

> car could be sticky problem, but I think the fans don't sense the heat to

> regulate it.

Yes Imran i am based in Dubai as well, but traveling most of the times. Instead of scrapping such a beautiful car, change mechanic or workshop to someone who knows the job and figure out what is wrong instead of guess work. Overheating causes are very limited as listed below in order of most cheapest to most expensive to fix excluding the water pump which you have already changed.

1) Check all coolant level, hoses are not leaking.

2) AC fan (most simple to change, plug and play new one) - If car is not overheating w/o AC then AC fan is the culprit.

3) Radiator clutch fan (big fan behind radiator) not running at optimum speed due to age, as that viscose clutch has life too. If you hear big hurricane noise from your engine bay when car is overheating then this clutch fan is working, if fan is sitting at idle speed even when car is overheating then change this at first as that clutch fan is not doing its job.

4) Radiator (blocked or partial block) so change to new one, instead of sitting on time bomb.

If all the above are in perfect working condition (confirmed by good mechanic) then in end i will doubt on the head gasket has been already warped after few overheating sessions and opening engine head to fix the gasket is the only permanent cure along with fixing the root cause that actually caused the overheating in first place, it might have been running dry w/o sufficient coolant even (if it ever happen).

Dear Vicky

Thank you for the detailed reply.

My driver, by mistake had left the radiator cap on the engine a fortnight ago, at 2PM around 50 degrees outside I drove 30 kms and the car stopped at Silicon Oasis, the engine was red hot...

Post recovery the mechanic said:

1 the coils plastic casing had MELTED, he said this is clear sign engine had overheated (hence gasket)

2 If you open the raditor caps and start, the water comes out and there are bubbles, he claims this is a clear sign the head is taking water

3 From the time I wrote this the radiator has leaked too

My THEORIES

1 Gasket is indeed gone OR

2 Gasket is fine and the radiator + pipes need investigation

WHEN THE RADIATOR LEAKED CAR HAD HARDLY TRAVELLED 2 KMS and WAS "COLD" ... is it possible there was a SMALL LEAK in radiator that simpy has INCREASED with TIME???

Given the above data what do you think? Mechanic says opening up engine will cost me around 5-6,000 AED which I can't afford, though I LOVE the car.

If someone wants to use this car on your forum for "spare parts" please do go ahead, I've an offer of AED 3,500 from a scrap dealer, anything above that is fine PROVIDED you agree that the head IS indeed gone based on above info.

Will be lovely to talk on phone 055 8094119 or skype (iokazmi)

Hi Imran,

Now the full story coming to the surface, if engine has touched full redline and car come to stop then it means 100000% that head gasket is gone.

I am amazed by your mechanic who make you installed new water pump after hearing this story to waste your time, money and energy. Now you only have 1 option to fix the head gasket first and then figure out (without driving) in testing mode in garage if temperature goes up or not, and if it does then fixing the culprit (other than radiator cap) (if any).

Fixing head gasket in agency would cost you same as that mechanic is asking man. Max if should not cost above 2k, 500 - 800 for labor and rest for head gasket set. Call some workshop in Sharjah and EXPLAIN FULL STORY and get pricing on phone. You can give a call to my old mechanic in sharjah (Imran @ 050 2071787) and give my reference of black G35 from Dubai, i reckon if he knows or remember my name after so long. But be sure that this guy is honest and knows what he is doing.

Good luck, keep us posted.