•  
Advertise here

Unidentifiable smell?

Hello everyone,

I own a QX56 10 and have stated to sense that there is a smell around the car. I don't think its something in the interiors but it seems to be more like exhaust/gas smell. Don't want a mall problem turn into a big one .. how can i determine which smell it is and how can i find a source. Anyone else experienced this kind of situation in their QX56?

Hi mate, since you are not exactly sure on the 'kind' of smell you need to establish the source first. Take a look at the exhaust manifold gasket since you think the smell might be related to that. The gasket might require a replacement. You can also check the space between the the exhaust pipe and the manifold. There might be a leak there. That leak might cause a smell. Hope you are following.

Oh and once a smoke smell was caused by the valve stern seals located on the exhaust system in my car, they were not functioning properly. :ugeek:

thanks you two I will be checking these things myself and see if there are any problems which I can get my hands on or get checked. A friend of mine sat in my car and suggested that the smell was of a metal burning smell and not exactly the exhaust kind of smell. Since that is a second opinion, anyone can advise what else I can check for this metal burning smell. I could have been wrong before.

Ayawar - I actually googled thatt and it really does happen. Cool . I would think that its the lunch my wife packed me :lol:

Check mufflers just in case and finally check if the head gasket is leaking into the engine cylinders in case the smell turns into smoke smell :D