•  
Advertise here

Sand Driving in LR3

Do you need to let air out of the tires when sand driving or is it good enough just to have the sand driving mode on ? I'm used to letting the tires down to 22 psi when sand driving but when i do this to LR3 the tires came of the rim. I struggle with driving in sand when only using the sand driving mode on the 4 wheel drive. Is there a compromise ? Anyone any advice. The garage told me that the sand driving mode is good enough but I find I get stuck very easy on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, you have to let the tires down to get the traction you require, i tend to drive mine on sand with around 12 psi in normal driving mode, forget the sand mode it realy doesn't help, use the gears manualy rather than in auto and try and stay in high range as much as possible as low range will in most cases just spin the wheels, to keep the tires on the rim try not to turn to steeply as this is when the tire will come off, other than that never ever ever go in the desert alone in just one car and make sure you take a snatch strap or minimum of a good quality tow rope with you + loads of water.

have fun.

• 1 year later...

Probably the most important advice, after tyre pressures, is to switch off the 'Dynamic Stability control' (DSC) when driving in soft sand. This button is in the centre of the dashboard above the radio. This stops the wheels locking up.

• 4 weeks later...

elliottb wrote:

> Do you need to let air out of the tires when sand driving or is it good enough just

> to have the sand driving mode on ? I'm used to letting the tires down to 22 psi

> when sand driving but when i do this to LR3 the tires came of the rim. I struggle

> with driving in sand when only using the sand driving mode on the 4 wheel drive.

> Is there a compromise ? Anyone any advice. The garage told me that the sand driving

> mode is good enough but I find I get stuck very easy on this.

What dose the sand driving mode do? i am curious.

As previous post - switch off the DSC (press the switch marked DSC, above the radio). When switched off, you will see an icon near your speedometer. When you go back to on-road driving, press the DSC switch again. 22-25 psi should be plenty.

Sorry to contradict everyone here but surely the first piece of advice that one should offer is just general desert info:

I'm presuming from your first post you're new to desert driving and if you were to take this advice and go and have a go in the sand without proper preparation, you could have a rubbish day:

So although tyre deflation is very important, always prepare well to at least a minimum standard (I'm sure others would add more but this is a personal view):

Never go out to the desert alone

Let someone know where you're going and for how long

Take appropriate communications devices, GPS and Water

Take a recovery kit with you and for your tyre pressure, get a decent digital gauge.

Sorry to hijack the thread but thought i'd add my two cents.

Cheers

Nick

At 22 PSI, tire will never come out off the wheels in sand. I am sure your tire pressure gauge was faulty, buy new one. Advisable tire tire pressure for safe and comfy driving in sand is 15 PSI, you can lower it down to 12 PSI if stuck in some extreme soft sand and then inflate back to 15 PSI.

Nick advise was great addon for newbie here.