•  
Advertise here

my mazda oldie

hi everyone didnt know where to post this problem so im doing it here - please guide me through. I have a Mazda 99 626 LX - 4 cyl AT

At one point in time my car's battery went dead and the codes erased. I thought that after I got this fixed then everything would go back to normal but since then on wards the car has been idling. To top that off, any minor or major electric load causes it to shift up and down so it seems that its gotten sensitive to any electronic load ... plus the idle sounds rough. In general there is a significant delay in idle compensation after electric load is applied. The local Mazda dealer told me that the idle control valve was bad and the throttle body needed to be cleaned. I replaced the valve and cleaned the throttle body the problem did not go away. Another mechanic found a cracked vacuum cap and a tiny leak in the air intake pipe. He told me that unmetered air was causing the idle problems. The leak was sealed but the idle is still rough and wavy. Does anyone have a clue about it?? Why would an electric load affect the idle if the problem is really unmetered air??

i am having the same exact problems you are. i have brought it back several times. first they told me that it was normal for a 4 cylinder, although it certainly was not like this when the car was new. next they found a bad ignition wire and then they played around with the motor mounts. it does not do it all the time, so maybe they did not get the right feel. i think it is definitely one of the sensors but it is also weird that the slightest elec. surge can throw this car out of whack. must be a bad design. i am going to try one more time and if i can not get it fixed, then i am switching to Honda. i am out of patience.

imran wrote:

> i am having the same exact problems you are. i have brought it back several

> times. first they told me that it was normal for a 4 cylinder, although it

> certainly was not like this when the car was new. next they found a bad

> ignition wire and then they played around with the motor mounts. it does

> not do it all the time, so maybe they did not get the right feel. i think

> it is definitely one of the sensors but it is also weird that the slightest

> elec. surge can throw this car out of whack. must be a bad design. i am

> going to try one more time and if i can not get it fixed, then i am

> switching to Honda. i am out of patience.

Their recent story is that it is a problem of unmetered air leaking in from the plastic box placed right after the computer. This would explain the fact that the idle is rough during cooler days or when the engine is not hot yet. They tried to seal the box without replacing it and it slightly improved for a few days but now it is getting worse. They tracked the air leak by listening to and following a subtle whistle with the engine at idle. It is something you may want to consider and suggest to your mechanic. However, I am not really sure that this is the only problem. Still no theory on why the idle is so sensitive to any electric load. Do let me know if this helps. Lastly, did you have the O2 sensor replaced?

Hi. My name is Peter and I am an expat living in Dubai for 3 years now. My father was a Mazda technician in Michigan with over thirty years of experience. Now he has retired. Can you tell me the mileage on your vehicle? And when was it that the battery went dead and the codes got erased?

P.s We both neither understand nor believe the unmetered air theory.

• 1 year later...