•  
Advertise here

Rear Bumper fix for Pajero for 150 AED

The Pajero has got a design problem, the well known sand scoop rear bumper. The open and weak plastic bumper will cach the sand and break.

There is a proper fix for that: connect the rear bumper with aluminum sheet metal to the heat shild plate above the exhaust. Use 1mm thin alu sheet in between the towing ears and cut out the place for exhaust suspension. Use riveting to fix the alu sheet to the removed heat shield and reinstall it. Use riveting and the original bolts to fix the alu sheet to the plastic bumper. For riveting, leave sufficient overlapping material. Make sure that the aluminum sheet goes above and does not touch any metal parts to avoid resonation and annoying noise!

The left corner is protected by an L shaped alu sheet riveted and bolted to the plastic corner piece of the bumper. There is a rivet and a washer to fix the L shape to the wheel arc liner behind the left rear wheel.

I went to a sheet metal workshop to do the bendings, cutting, installation. I supervised their work for 2 hours and the price was 150 AED.

I tested the modified bumper is Sweihan, it works and looks just great.

There is a possible low thek 10 minutes alternative : fix a metal pipe inside the plastic bumper with plastic binders led trough some drilled holes in the bumper.

post-554-14042147822_thumb.jpg

post-554-140421478224_thumb.jpg

post-554-140421478227_thumb.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Ive only ever been out in the sand once with my pajero once across the 2 and half years that ive had it (sob) and that first time i went, this exact same problem happened. The bumper luckily didnt totally rip off but did bend out, . . . however i pushed it back into place and its still lasting, no noticeable difference except normally the underside of that bumper trim looks straight whereas mine has a slight downward curve now :-s

anyhow, i wish id thought ofthat aluminium pipe and plastic ties solution, thats genius !

Also, just out of curiosity seeing as ive only ever been once to the dessert with my car, how do your pajeros perform in the dessert, mine is only the middle spec 2009 3.0L version which most people who i have talked to say isnt powerful enough for dessert driving, especially because the pajero is quite a heavy car? also on this car the ABS is apparently always on as there is no "off" switch (apparently only on the top of the range versions) and this affects how well you can drive on the sand?

I always ponder taking the car out in the sand again but never found the right opportunity or crowd to have a go again with due to not knowing about how other 3.0 pajeros do? any theories or thoughts you care to share?

Anyway, otherwise, great post,

Cheers

Kiran

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Mr Twiste, I bought a new 2012 Pajero and planing to off roading ones I complete 1000 kms, wanted to know if you could please share the details of this work shop and their location as I intend to do the same solution and keep my bumber safe.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...