•  
Advertise here

Servicing for Galant

Hey everyone!

i recently bought myself a 2007 Galant which had already done 99,400 km. but the only problem is the previous owner never kept any service history recorded. as far as i can say, the car is beautiful to drive and visibly, there dont seem to be any problems. but when i gave the car for registration, tasjeel did mention that the Engine head and the radiator were repaired once.

im very worried about what services i should get done on my car, as this my first car ive ever owened. also, i heard that there is a major service that needs to be done when the car reaches 1L km.( replacing the timing belt, tires, etc).

could anyone guide me as to what i should do? also, are there any cheap, reliable service centres in dubai i could go to ?

waiting for your response!

Suryamshu

Hi Suryamshu, congrats for your first car. And as far as car running great and looks good be happy. For revealing the bad part now, based on tasjeel finding. When car is overheated single or multiple timing then engine head has a gasket that gets bad (shrink) and mix the coolant and oil inside engine. Engine can actually die slow death coz of this mixing and loose tremendous power. What i assume that previous owner must have had cracked radiator coz of which car overheated and that's why he changed the radiator and fixed the head gasket by opening engine head (which is not a normal job and it is quite expensive). I also assume here, that being expensive job he must have gotten it done in sub standard garage to save money and hence sold the car. If it would have been done at good garage or dealership its almost impossible to make out if engine head is opened or not.

Another assumption, is engine head also get opened for changing the timing belt and your previous owner must have changed that at 80k kms, if i am not wrong. Call Habtoor and check at how many km you need to change the timing belt, if its 80k then may be this assumption is quiet right. If they say at 100k or after 100k then previous (bad) assumption must be right.

Also open the hood of your car and see right under the bonnet the mesh or cardboard that sits right under bonnet metal is disfigured, loose and look worn out or burnt (majorly)???? Then car has been severely overheated and my first assumption is quite right.

Don't feel bad, as its your first car and everyone have their sour story for the first time. What you can do now, is to get it car checked at good garage like dynatrade, technical resources and let them diagnose it for 200 AED that how good or bad head gasket job is done. And how is the current overall condition of your car and if it need some further attention. More than likely you will be changing the timing belt in coming few thousand kms, so at that time you can get that job done at good garage for approx 3000 AED or at dealership for 5000 AED and enjoy the car with peace of mind.

Have fun and drive safe.

Hi Parf,

Thanks for the advice. As suggested i did check under my bonnet but could find any visible bend/burn/etc. also, both Habtoor and the car's manual indicate that the timing belt must be changed after 1,00,000 km and not 80,000. ( or 2 years whichever comes first). i doubt he must have opened the engine head to change the timing belt as that wont explain the problem with the radiator.

in any case, i will be taking the car for a complete diagnostic this friday. but could you suggest a few other garages locally so that i could scout for the best deal?

also, i have been told that these dealerships have a tendency to over estimate the damages. assuming the car is 6 years old and done 1,00,700 km now (!!!), what should i look out for?

Suryamshu

Your 6 years old car done 107K is nothing unsual. People clock 100+ in 3 years car so dont feel bad.

About garage, i personally been to dynatrade and they were good. Google their aweer number or i guess here in this forum also some listed garages are there that people must have used.

Always go for due diligence as in one attempt you wont find perfect garage. Its normal.

Thanks.

i called dynatrade and they quoted AED 450 for a full diagnosis. in case any servicing needs to be done then ill pay for the quantity more than the 450. but while speaking to them they did mention that i should get the timing belt changed, which would cost me ~4000 aed. is that too much? although my manual does also tell me to change the timing belt at 1 L km, can i do without it?

• 3 weeks later...