•  
Advertise here

Where did the name Nissan came from?

• 9 months later...

I have some more interesting information about Nissan Motor Company.. I got this stuff from Wikipedia... hope you like this

Founded in: December 26, 1933

Founder(s): Masujiro Hashimoto

Kenjiro Den

Rokuro Aoyama

Meitaro Takeuchi

Yoshisuke Aikawa

Headquarters: Nishi-ku, Yokohama, Japan

Production

output in 2010: 4,080,588 units

Revenue in 2011: ¥8.773 trillion

Operating income: ¥462.92 billion

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Again thanks to Wikipedia, my question has been answered...

As per Wikipedia:

Datsun is an automobile brand owned by Nissan. Datsun's original production run began in 1931. From 1958 to 1986, only vehicles exported by Nissan were identified as Datsun. By 1986 Nissan had phased out the Datsun name, but re-launched it in 2013 as the brand for low-cost vehicles manufactured for emerging markets.

In 1931, Dat Motorcar Co. chose to name its new small car "Datson", a name which indicated the new car's smaller size when compared to the DAT's larger vehicle already in production. When Nissan took control of DAT in 1934, the name "Datson" was changed to "Datsun", because "son" also means "loss" ( Son) in Japanese and also to honor the sun depicted in the national flag.[1] Nissan phased out the Datsun brand in March 1986. The Datsun name is most famous[according to whom?] for the 510,Fairlady roadsters, and later the Fairlady (240Z) coupes.

On 18/04/2015 at 10:28 PM, ghassank said:

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing this interesting information. So, I guess it's similar to FIAT this company got its anme in a similar way.

FIAT - Fix It Again Tomorrow

• Like (+1) 1