•  
Advertise here

Replacing battery so soon?

juggy

hello everyone .....

I recently stumbled onto some battery issues (car shuts off, interior lights flickr, etc) which dont surface often but come along once in a while. now i am told to have the battery repalced when I just replaced it like a year and a half ago. I dont think people change it before three years so it came to me as a surprise since I thought the problems could be fixed without having to go through all that hassle again... not to talk about the expense.

Now I feel like suing someone :x

What should I do?

hi juggy,

Well if you are having to change your battery so soon then you probably bought a faulty battery before which didn't last long. Anyways, where you live is also a factor which affects the battery in a big way. In UAE, the battery has a shorter lifetime due to the immense heat.

You have the check the CCAs (Cold cranking amperes) of your vehicle. Get a battery that has more CCAs than your specification. Check the alternator of your vehicle. If all of that is in order, well then its just the way these cars are meant to behave. If you have the extra dough, you can check Optima batteries. These are favoured a lot by off-road folks who have a lot of lighting and sound accessories. Motortech sells them in UAE.

http://motortech.ae/index.php?product=16&a=Optima%20Red%20Top

Welcome brother. I also forgot to add the following preliminary checks you need to do as part of routine maintenance as and when you own the battery:

1) Maintenance free batteries are never really 100% maintenance free. Check to see if they have provisions to check water level and facility to top it off. If its a dry battery, then skip this step.

2) Almost certainly, your +ve terminal will corrode or "rust". No doubt about it. Every oil change remove the +ve terminal from the battery and use a cloth and then a toothbrush to scrub away that rust. If you feel that the +ve terminal of your battery has corroded away, replace it with a new one. The below picture is what I mean. This part will come away from your battery and can be easily cleaned and replaced.

http://www.amazon.com/DB-BTP2-Positive-Battery-Terminal/dp/B000P0W5B2

Remember, if there is no proper contact with the leads of the battery, the battery will not be able to charge properly and will eventually die after the juice drains. Btw, don't reuse that toothbrush you use to clean the terminals, especially to clean your teeth.. LOL. :D;)

My Armada too have the same issue. I was told by my trustee battery seller guy that some people do change location of the battery to under the seat of the front passenger. And that has increased the life of the battery because of cooler temperature than the engine bay.

I use Amaron batteries and they have been serving me well. But the only thing to be concern is till its death it gives a healthy start up so you won't notice that the battery is about to fail. A regular battery health check can prevent that. Take care. ;)

I hope you didnt listen to your "trustee battery seller guy". I mean, your "guy" probably deserves the nobel prize for stupidity. LOL. Do you know what these batteries contain? They contain sulphuric acid. The acid will eat through clothes, fabric and even certain kinds of rubber. Batteries produce hydrogen sulfide gas when they go bad and it is very explosive. You should avoid all sparks and open flames when dealing with such batteries.

Now, I ask you my dear friend. Do you think it is a good idea to place the batteries under the front passenger seat where it is easily accessible to children and that too in a closed area where you and your loved ones will have to smell that poisonous hydrogen sulfide gas? I think you already know the answer to the question.

Amaron batteries are also dry batteries and are no different from other dry batteries in the market. I have one too. They all give positive results during regular battery health checks till they just give up and die and hence the need to move on to gel batteries like Optima Red Top or Optima Yellow Top. They maybe expensive, but they can withstand multiple drain and charge cycles unlike dry batteries which will die after a drain.

Stay safe and please don't move the battery from under your hood to under your front passenger seat. Not that these will fit under our seats anyway. LOL. Stay safe. The life of you and your family is worth much more than 1000/- dirhams.

• 2 weeks later...