•  
Advertise here

Nissan Xterra '08 Shock Upgrades

hkakash

Hey Members!

I have had my '08, for a couple years now and its time to swap out my suspension. I have made my decision on the lift kits and upper controller arms (total Chaos). But now comes a very big decision: Shocks.

I'm stuck between Bilstein's 5100's height Adjustable and Rancho's RS9000XL. I have gone through so many web pages and so many forums, all give me mixed feelings.

A Major Difference the Rancho's are triple tubbed and the Bilsteins are Monotube, meaining that the Rancho's will have their dampening effects lessend as the shocks heat and in the UAE the shocks will be heated before you even start the car. However, the ride settings can be adjusted manually from a dial, allowing the owner to change the ride (smoothness) to meet his specific needs. Also in the US Bilsteins are an OEM part on the xterra.

Confusing I Know

I was thinking maybe a combination of the two Bilsteins in the front and the ranchos in the rear so that I can control the dampening of the rear when i'm on or off road, because the back end tends to jack-rabbit because of the flat be springs.

I would appreciate any comments/advice/ alternative,

• Like (+1) 2

I have the PRG advanced lift kit package on my '09 Xterra and really happy with it. The front shocks are Radflo 2.0 Coilovers with the PRG UCAs and the rear is the long travel Bilstein 5125s.

You can buy the package or just the shocks from prgproducts.com. Greg from PRG is a great guy and he can work out the reasonable international shipping for you via USPS priority mail. The only caveat is that the guy is too busy and you need a lot of patience and waiting before he can finally fabricate and make everything ready to go.

In case you are going for the PRG advanced lift kit, make sure to add the height adjustable shackles so that you can adjust for the flattening of the rear leaf springs. Though, I am running this set-up for almost a year now and even though the rear leafs have settled a bit they havent really flattened out. I should mention that I drive in the desert with a off-road group pretty much round the year so you can rest assured that the suspension has really been tested fully in the desert :-)

BTW, if you still looking to buy the TC UCAs, I have a brand new pair bought from ebay with me which i intended to use before I went for the PRG kit. I can offer them for the original price. If you are interested send me a PM.

Cheers!

Sanjeet

Hey Sanjeet,

thanks for your post. The UCA's what brand are they, as far as I know only Calmini makes them. I am most probably gonna go for the Daystar Lift Kit, with 5100's with the automated setting controller. Its gonna cost a bit for the installation and the setup, but it will save me alot of trouble, since i use the car for my day job as well and need a comfort setting to navigate the seats, (i work in sales, so my job is mostly driving), if you can pass me a pic of the UCA's.

Thanks!!

HK

My X is a daily driver and a weekend offroad warrior and I love the on-road and off-road comfort :-)

The UCAs are from Total Chaos. Since I dont have access my kit right now (at work), you can find a pic here - http://www.chaosfab.com/2005-2013-Nissan-Frontier-Xterra-Upper-Control-Arm-Suspension-Kit-91500.html

The UCAs are in the original packaging as it was shipped to me.

I have Bilsteins on my front and Ranchos in the rear and I have to say that the Bilsteins are in a class of their own. The Radflows and SAWs are a level higher and they can even be rebuilt. So, purchasing them guarantees you a lifetime replacement.

In my opinion, getting Total Chaos UCAs are a waste of money unless you are going to do some serious offroading. Of course, if you have coil bucket contact, thats a different story altogether and you will need them.But stay away from the Ranchos. They are rubbish and I cant wait to get rid of them!

My purpose for the UCA's is to maintain the OEM setup of the car after the lift. I take turns at higher speeds than recommended and weave between cars from time to time, after the lift the centre of gravity is elevated and maneuverability becomes limited as a result. The UCA's in this case will enable me to move in a similar way as when the car is stock. Plus, if youre gonna spend on upgrades its better to go the extra mile and have a completley new setup.

But Thanks, I do appreciate your input blackarmada. and sanpa, I will be in touch soon for the UCA's.

Ciao!!

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2013 at 1:52 PM, hkakash said:

My purpose for the UCA's is to maintain the OEM setup of the car after the lift. I take turns at higher speeds than recommended and weave between cars from time to time, after the lift the centre of gravity is elevated and maneuverability becomes limited as a result. The UCA's in this case will enable me to move in a similar way as when the car is stock. Plus, if youre gonna spend on upgrades its better to go the extra mile and have a completley new setup.

But Thanks, I do appreciate your input blackarmada. and sanpa, I will be in touch soon for the UCA's.

Ciao!!

did you get the UCA's ? how much ? from where should I get them ?

Rohan, have you tried with Ramy trading and Icon Auto...? Check if they can order it for you?

Else it's better to buy it yourself online and get it through aramex shop and ship option.