•  
Advertise here

Resetting service indicator

kevin

Hello carnity users, I have a 5 series 10. About two and a half weeks ago I took my car in to Abu Dhabi motors for the regularly maintenance work and oil changes. Today I saw the service light on again for no good reason. At first I thought that they did not reset it correctly or there was something wrong with the maintenance but then i recalled that everything on the checklist was done properly and I have never had a problem like this with the previous maintenance trips. Anyways, thinking that I need to just try and reset the service indicator light myself I called up the guys at the dealership but they told me to bring it to them. This got me a little mad because I don't want to take out my time and money for something so small like this. Plus I insisted that I cannot manage a trip these days due to my routine so if they could just tell me how i can do it .. they said they can't do it over the phone and i sort of agreed on that. I know that resetting the indicator light is hardly an issue and if i knew the exact procedure how to I would have already done it myself. I need help with this small problem. Someone please.

Did you ask them if they were going to even charge you again? I don't think so ... I took mine to AGMC here in dubai and almost the same thing happened ... plus my car was leaking oil right after two days of maintenance. They did the repairs for the oil and reset the light ... didnt pay for either since the oil leak was caused due to something they did and they told me the light was on the house. I think you should call them again.

thanks for the advice guys

Charl i understand what you are saying but its not about the money right now .. i live fairly off

route and really can't make it to them for the next few days .. and i don't want to keep staring at this light. I want to know how

to do it myself.

Resetting the service indicator light is not at all a problem two easy steps .. are you aware of the odometer button? i don't know why the dealership said that it has to be brought in again .. to be honest yes they could have told you over the phone. BMWs being a luxury car are always the "take-it-in" kind of cars no matter how small the issue is.

Okay here is a simple step by step:

Get in your car, put your seat belt on and close the door as if you are ready to drive. Do not insert key.

With your free hand, press the odometer button and keep pressing it.

insert key and turn once - its called the accessory position of the key

Remember you have to keep pressing the button throughout, the service light will start to flash.

the word reset will appear, release button and press it again once and keep pressing it.

release button when you see green lights appear ... this means the system has been reset.