•  
Advertise here

Thinking of buying one of these, owner opinions?

upandhi

I'd love to hear comments, good or bad for owners of this car. Has your time with the car been largely problem-free?

i dont own this car personally; but my car (peugeot 207) has the same engine; so i can only comment on that.

as for reliability, its like any car. if u look after it well it will reward u with problem free motoring. however, the uae's climate does affect cars. so here are likely problem u could face:

1. Diverter valve. not sure if it uses the exact same 1 as the 207; if it is, there have been cases of the rubber membrane becoming torn, in which case u will experience boost loss.

2. The standard hoses (1 going from turbo to top boost pipe, 1 going from boost pipe to intercooler, and 1 going away from the intercooler) are made of rubber. these hoses have been known to get small crack in them due to heat and vibration.

3. blown turbo. again due to the heat (and strict emissions laws which actually cause exhaust temps to increase) and also a relatively small oil feed, the turbo may not receive sufficient lubrication; in which case it will seize.

4. boost control valve becoming stuck. ok a little technical knowledge. the amount of pressure a turbo can produce is controlled by the wastegate. a wastegate is just a valve that directs the exhaust gases to (more pressure) or away (less pressure) from the turbo wheel. but to control the wastegate u need something to push or pull it. this is called an actuator. on the peugeot turbo cars, the actuator is controlled with vacuum. i.e no vacuum = wastegate open = no turbo pressure.....vacuum = wastegate closed = more pressure.

in order to control the actuator, a boost control valve is used. basically, the boost control valve is the only thing which can be controlled by the car's computer. only by controlling the boost control valve can the computer manage all the other apsects. so, the problem with the boost control valve is that it can become stuck open, which means: vacuum cannot be sent to the actuator = wastegate open = no turbo pressure.

5. canister depollution valve. this is also an electro valve like the boost control valve (i.e is controlled by the car's computer). the purpose of this valve is to be open so petrol fumes can be released from the petrol tank when turbo pressure is not needed. However, if turbo pressure is required but the valve fails to close, the turbo pressure will not reach the engine (also known as a "boost leak"). sometimes this valve does become stuck

ADAPT Performance - Power Unleashed

SOFTWARE TUNING & PERFORMANCE PARTS

www.adaptperformance.com

Thanks 207_gti for what looks like a well-considered answer. I'm afraid I'm not very technically versed, so I'm not sure what it all means. But I take it that there may be issues related to the excessive heat which can reduce performance. Are the things you pointed out likely to be picked up by the maintenance guys or are they likely to be missed, leading to further problems?

I presently own a Peugeot 206 manual (2006 model) and have not been particularly happy with servicing at the SZR workshop. I've had better experiences at Rashidiya and I felt there was even better personal attention given in RAK, but not sure if mechanics in RAK would do as well with something like the RCZ. This leads me to my second question--would you say that better maintenance is to be had at any one service center as opposed to another?

Thanks 207_gti for what looks like a well-considered answer. I'm afraid I'm not very technically versed, so I'm not sure what it all means. But I take it that there may be issues related to the excessive heat which can reduce performance. Are the things you pointed out likely to be picked up by the maintenance guys or are they likely to be missed, leading to further problems?

I presently own a Peugeot 206 manual (2006 model) and have not been particularly happy with servicing at the SZR workshop. I've had better experiences at Rashidiya and I felt there was even better personal attention given in RAK, but not sure if mechanics in RAK would do as well with something like the RCZ. This leads me to my second question--would you say that better maintenance is to be had at any one service center as opposed to another?

no problem. sorry if my explanation wasnt very clear...i did try to make it as basic as possible. but yea peugeot is aware of these issues and they know how to fix them. when i had problems with mine i took the car apart, did my own tests and showed them how to check it all. unfortunately peugeot itself does not give the service centres enough info; so if i have a problem or a solution to a potential problem, i relay the info to them.

im very happy with the SZR service centre. if ur not happy, do urself a favour and befriend Mr Shiva (the manager). absolutely awesome guy and will help u out in any way he can.

regarding ur second question; i live in al ain, and for the first 3 or 4 services i took the car to the al ain workshop. i was not happy at all with them as the manager is extremely rude. so instead i choose to take my car to the SZR centre. so those are the only ones ive dealt with. but as i said, i am extremely happy with SZR.

ok, now my questions. which rcz are u looking at (156hp auto or 200hp manual)? and why the rcz instead of another hatchback?

ADAPT Performance - Power Unleashed

SOFTWARE TUNING & PERFORMANCE PARTS

www.adaptperformance.com

• 5 weeks later...

This comment will get linked to the 207 thread... So, I didn't go for the RCZ after all. When I walked into the showroom, the dealer, who knows me from previous purchases, introduced me to a 2011 207 model (new) at a reduced price, so I went for it. It was my practical mind over-riding my emotional mind which was so tempted by the unaffordable RCZ. Luckily my trusted dealer steered me the right way. Now to comment on my 207 purchase in that thread...