•  
Advertise here

Do we drive fast?

Need some fellow Porsche owner help in understanding if we do drive fast or not?

Most of the time I drive close to the speed limit grace allowance e.g if road is of 100 km and with grace i can go up to 120 km, then i prefer to drive at 115 km, which is normal to my mind.

I was accompanied with someone yesterday and been asked in general that why i am driving so fast. To my mind i was within speed limit and road was allowing me to set cruise at 115 km very comfortably without hopping lanes or dodging slow cars.

To my surprise the reasoning i got from that person is if road speed limit is set at 100 km then we should stick to 80 km - 90 km and occasionally touch 100 km while overtaking or something. People tailgating is wrong behavior of pushing each other to go fast that causes accidents when they get hyper on Hi speed roads.

My explanation was that every driver should decide their car speed limit under the assigned road limit by judging the car capability especially quick response in full throttle, road traffic, road curves or smoothness and drivers ability. And when people don't do this or miscalculate these above points, accident happen. People drive at 80 on a road where other driver can hit upto 120 causes the accident. Those slow driver don't like to move away as they get offended by dipping lights or honking and then start the road rage which expose both cars and few other cars at risk, because of their idiotic ego. I am not sure if people here know that extreme left lane is for highest speed car - may be they have emergency, overtaking or anything else. Even if person drive at 500 km in fast lane then guy behind him have full right to request him to move away if that car comes closer to 50m range. Out here, slowest driver secure the fast lane to satisfy their peony ego and block all others is plain stupid and frustrating, may be guy behind you is taking his pregnant wife to hospital, rushing to catch flight in an emergency, rushing for some medical emergency, rushing to rescue someone at home or work. Those snail don't care and don't react to dipping lights and honks.

Other person response with big surprise on face saying that they have been taught in Driving school to drive in those fast lane when they are 20 km close to the road limit, so driving in left most lane is acceptable for cars at 80km. Dipping car at behind should wait than getting impatient and crazy on slow driver, as whenever they get free spot on right they will move. No one ever mention how fast to move away or not and couple of seconds with 20km difference will not make any huge impact on timing or in emergency.

I replied with below simple maths:

Covering

40 km distance at difference speeds.

40 km at average speed of 80 kmph = 30 mins

40 km at average speed of 100 kmph = 24 mins

40 km at average speed of 120 kmph = 20 mins

After showing above calculation, we are no longer a friends anymore. lol.

Please add your views on who is right and who is not, how to end or resolve this chicken and egg situation? I am really frustrated with what crazy drivers do at roads in Dubai and pretend to be the best behavior including my ex-friend.....!

Signing out

G. Danny

Danny, I know what you feel mate. We share same feeling and there are many times i feel Posrche should have added rocket launcher in my car like batman car. lol. So that i can hit those idiot who dont have lane sense or dont know how to communicate with rear driver by seeing them in rear view mirror and still drive shamelessly at 80 in hi speed lane.

Looks like driving school here teaching only half a lesson here, to when to move in the fast lane and not teaching when to exit. Back in Germany on freeway people leave lanes even if they see speeding car behind them with a 1-2 km distance.

May be its time to device some fines for these slow drivers that adds to road traffic with their stupidity and delay everyone.

Nice thread Danny, and I understand from what you explain and how things are accepted in Dubai about hi speed lane driving. I feel people drive in hi-speed lane to avoid traffic slower than 80 and expect they will switch back to second lane if rear guy has problem they will flash or honk. Great.

However many times that situation comes when right side is also jammed and that snail in front don't want to go above 80km. Slight aggressive pushing turns into challenging road rage and distracts everyone else from the road and cause unpleasant scene or an accident.

I believe more than a law, rule, fines we need to educate each other nicely. We all need to learn to give first than take and create that self explanatory situation that you start giving side first to the fast car behind you and then only one day you will get back that respect. I know this approach takes time, but its self evolving and permanent than fines and laws.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

-> If the lane on your right is empty, then you are driving in a wrong lane.

-> If someone just passes you by in your right lane, then you are driving in a wrong lane.

-> If you can't drive the speed limit, switch to slower lane on your right

-> Maintain minimum safe following distance to 3 seconds from the car in front of you.

-> If someone is tailgating you then you should move to another lane and let the tailgating vehicle to pass.