•  
Advertise here

Can't shift gears!

hi people!!

I have a 2005 Cayman. mileage has just crossed 44,000 miles. last Tuesday I was driving to work and about a 1000 yards from my house, while I was casually shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, the shifter suddenly went limp. I could put the shifter into the slots for the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th gear, but the gears weren't actually shifting. To my absolute horror my lovely ride was stuck in 2nd gear. luckily the car was stuck in a low gear and I was able to get the car back home. I am not an aggressive or a rash driver so i was at a loss to understand how this could happen. now my research reveals that this is a very common problem and I am the latest victim of the Porsche cable catastrophe. my faith in the brand has shaken. helpppppp!!!

i feel ya mate. the shifter cable on my brother's 02 boxster broke thrice before he finally got fed up and sold it. This particular problem is common among the Cayman and the boxster ... now he's saving up to buy a 2013 H1. Porsche is supposedly one of the most durable cars in the market. Prestigious brand, insanely expensive, built for high performance etc etcc.

I just don't get it!

@imranpro ... first time?? wow!! u r a lucky guy bro ... the cable on my boxster broke twice in LESS THAN 40,000 MILES.

believe it or not ... I was looking into having custom cables made from aircraft control cable but then decided against it. just take it in and have the cable replaced. every rose has it's thorns.

• 2 months later...

I want to thank every body on here for the help.

Just as most of your experts pointed out one of the shifter cables' was broken. I changed them myself - and heck it was a difficult task although I am glad that I did it myself. Not only did I save myself some much-needed money, I also learned a thing or two. My advice:

The plastic ends of the sheath need to be zip-tied in order to secure them to the trans bracket. All of these things should also be periodically inspected.

The shifter should be treated with respect. The shifter itself and it's cables are strongly-designed and aggressive shifting will wear things out.

Hey Imranpro!

Hey buddy. Congrats on successfully changing the cables by yourself. Hoping you could answer one small question of mine. How do you remove the end caps of the shifter cable from the transmission? Are you supposed to just pull them off or should the front plastic-face piece be removed first? Just want to avoid any unnecessary damage. Thank yous