•  
Advertise here

how good is this car in the desert

• 2 weeks later...

Rav4 is good and bad in desert. Due to its just adequate power driver need to really learn how to negotiate dunes while climbing and at what speed. Once you learn that you will enjoy, or else you will hate it.

Go ahead and try and then only you will get the bug. Good luck and be safe.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I disagree, RAV is light and is a 2.4 however it has a lower chasis so angle of approach and departure are narrow. you will end up destroying bumper clips at a mimimum and max you will end up destroying the radiator as from below as there is no protection. Moreover, there are no proper recovery points on the RAV 4 as its built for 4x4 on rough terrain not soft terrain like sand. Once it gets stuck you will have to dig it out and thats a lot of hard work. I owe a RAV 4 and a FJ. Many times I am tempted to take the RAV 4 but stop short because of these issues. If you have a RAV 4 coupe (older 90's or early 2000 model), you will fare better as this was built for the soft terrain as well. If you do modify the RAV 4 - lifted suspension, undercarraige protection and are not too worried for the bumpers, sure you have a good vehicle for the desert. Hope my 2 cents are worth your time.