•  
Advertise here

Desert Safari in Land Cruiser

I have bought used LC100 Land Cruiser and been on few offroad drives with clubs in Dubai and to my surprise what looks like best 4x4 car in Dubai seeing desert safari guys, i am sorry to say but this Land Cruiser is not that capable in desert driving in Dubai with aggressive cars like Jeep Wranglers, Land Rover Defenders, Toyota Prado and FJ cruiser.On many occasions i have faced that in straight climb uphill, my car losses power in second gear and while on the move i cant switch to 1st gear untill rpm drops back under 3000 revs and shifting to 1st gear in low revs is pointless as until then car momentum is lost and to move again such a big truck uphil on 1st gear is too crying of a task.Appreciate if any fellow Toyota owner who has Land Cruiser and experience of driving in desert can advise on tips and tricks that can help me improvise my driving style to catch up with other smaller more powerful cars would be really appreciated. jazakallah khair.

Ali, safari driver here drive like a train on set path they know their cruiser will make through with 7 people seated. They use LC as its easy to maintain and cheaper to fix with Toyota reliability which superceed any other existing brands in Dubai.

For sand offroad, the key thing to consider is the weight of car and power of the car. How many hp/ton you have under your belt.

LC = 2.5 ton with 240 hp = 96hp /ton

Wrangler = 1.5 ton with 190 hp = 130 hp/ton

Prado = 2.0 ton with 262 hp = 130 hp/ton

So now it shows that LC is highly underpower as oppose to weight it carries and that's why other smaller and lighter cars runs fast and climber higher.

You can reduce the unwanted weight from your LC, get the K&N filter, platinum spark plug, michelin or siam tires (best for sand) and deflate to 12 psi and try again if you can climb higher.