The gauge assembly has a self-diagnosis function.
• The beeper drive circuit check
• The indicator drive circuit check
• The LCD segments check
• The gauges drive circuit check (Speedometer, Tachometer, Fuel gauge, Coolant temperature gauge)
• The communication line check (the coolant temperature signal line between the gauge and ECM/PCM)
ENTERING THE SELF-DIAGNOSIS FUNCTION
Before doing the self-diagnosis function, check the No. 9 (10A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box and No. 10 (7.5A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.
1. Push and hold the trip/reset button.
2. Turn the lighting switch ON.
3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
4. Within 5 sec, turn the lighting switch OFF, then ON and OFF again.
5. Within 5 sec, release the trip/reset button, then push and release the button four times repeatedly.
• While in the self-diagnosis mode, the dash lights brightness controller operates normally.
• While in the self-diagnosis mode, the trip/reset button is used to start the beeper drive circuit check and the gauge drive circuit check.
• If the vehicle speed exceeds 1.2 mph (2 km/h) or the ignition
switch is turned OFF, the self-diagnosis mode ends.
THE BEEPER DRIVE CIRCUIT CHECK
When entering the self-diagnosis mode, the beeper sounds five times.
THE INDICATOR DRIVE CIRCUIT CHECK
When entering the self-diagnosis mode, the following indicators blink. Seat belt indicator, Door/trunk indicator, Brake system light, Low fuel indicator, Maintenance required indicator (USA), Washer fluid level indicator light (Canada), Oil pressure light and, A/T gear position indicator (except P, R, N).
THE LCD SEGMENT CHECK
When entering the self-diagnosis mode, the odo/trip segment blinks five times.
THE GAUGE DRIVE CIRCUIT CHECK
When entering the self-diagnosis mode, the speedometer and the tachometer, the fuel gauge, and the coolant temperature gauge needles sweep from the minimum position to maximum position, then return to the minimum position.
After the beeper stops sounding and the gauge needles return to the minimum position, pushing the trip/reset button starts the beeper drive circuit check (one beep), and the gauge drive circuit check again. The check cannot be started until the needles return to the minimum position. If the gauge needles fail to sweep, replace the gauge assembly.
THE COMMUNICATION LINE CHECK
In the self-diagnosis mode, after the odo/trip LCD segments check, the self-diagnosis starts the communication line check.
If all segments come on, the communication line is OK.
If the word "Error" is indicated, there is a malfunction in the communication line between the gauge assembly, the multiplex control unit, and the ECM/PCM.
ENDING THE SELF-DIAGNOSIS FUNCTION
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
If the vehicle speed exceeds 1.2 mph (2 km/h), the self-diagnosis
If any of the checks do not function as specified, replace the gauge assembly.