•  
Advertise here

How do ABS works?

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I love to discuss about the antilock brake system. My friend has a workshop and he taught me what exactly ABS does? I tell you how it works. Let’s say I am driving my car. When I apply brakes in my car, antilock brake system will examine the deceleration speed of the tires while braking. So basically, ABS system by default is programmed with an appropriate deceleration and acceleration speed of the wheel while braking. So let’s say if the front wheel of my car is decelerating faster than the estimated speed of the ABS module, it means something is wrong. There is one more case you can examine. If the deceleration speed of the wheels is all different from each other, that again is a problem as the wheels are not properly balanced.

So if the deceleration speed of the wheel is faster or slower than estimated speed, it mean that the wheel can slip and there are chances that the wheel can lock up in the middle and break the traction. Also, if the deceleration speed differs, the hydraulic pressure starts to generate on the wheel. The ABS system helps in reducing that pressure to the brake. When such thing happens, you can hear chattering noise from the ABS unit. No need to worry, ABS is doing its job, but ya you may have to get your car wheel diagnosed properly. Now, the locking up that I was talking about, because of the modulation in the brake circuit, it reduces the braking load from the wheel and regains the traction back avoiding locking up.

So to summarize, ABS helps in reducing the hydraulic pressure on the wheels and also helps you detect whether the functioning of the wheel is proper or not. You can judge the nature of your tire from ABS system itself.

• 7 months later...