•  
Advertise here

Torque Converters

Torque converter is an auto part only in automatic transmission cars. Basically this converter is like a donut, I mean the shape. There is bell housing between the engine and the transmission, inside of which is the torque converter. But this donut is made of hydraulic slip clutch, reduction gear and the fluid coupling. All the three have their own functioning. The hydraulic slip clutch helps in maintaining engine idling while the car is in gear. The reduction gear basically improvises the engine torque by multiplying it. And the fluid coupling helps in transmitting that engine torque into the transmission.

Let me just try to cut short in a simple language. Now, since automatic transmission doesn’t have a clutch, the engine has to work independently of the transmission. Now here, the torque converter plays a role of fluid coupling. The amount of torque passed by the converter works with the speed of the engine. When the engine is turned slow, it means the car is gonna be idle, that time the torque sent from the converter is very less. This helps in deciding the pressure that one needs to put on the brake pedal. So when the engine speed is fast and the coupling of fluid is constant but high, it means the car is driven at high speed, so the amount of torque from the converter will be big as the pressure to press the brake pedal will be strong. So all the three parts of this donut plays there role simultaneously with the speed of the engine and the car. Also, the torque converter is a crucial autopart in an automatic transmission car. If that fails, there is no chance that you can drive your car. Proper maintenance is required to keep a keen note on the converter that it works properly.

And can you also explain how to maintain the constant smoothness of torquue converter?

Cars My passion :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

If you like my above post, please press Like / Thanks on right side to help me increase my rating