•  
Advertise here

coolant recycling process

• 1 year later...

Re cycling in general means taking back the original media , extracting contamination and re using it back. Well i personally think coolant is not so expensive that a fair amount of time and resources should be invested to recycle it , i will vote to change it . kind regards 

as coolant grades coded by colors (green,blue & red) the content and percentage of glycogen and minerals varies and used coolant contain lead and aluminum and other low percentage of heavy minerals in addition to engine oil traces which considered toxic to human, animals and plants so as per environmental standards and shall not be drained or spilled on soil.

so the process is very complicated comparing to sewerage water treatment however it's expected to be standard in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and Sharjah shortly as Dubai started early 2016 to enforce environmental protecting rules as collecting used lubricants and lubricants polluted fabrics and tissues and panning of using wood mushes on cleaning process at car workshops.

@barry can tell you more about extra costs for these polices.     

as coolant grades coded by colors (green,blue & red) the content and percentage of glycogen and minerals varies and used coolant contain lead and aluminum and other low percentage of heavy minerals in addition to engine oil traces which considered toxic to human, animals and plants so as per environmental standards and shall not be drained or spilled on soil.

so the process is very complicated comparing to sewerage water treatment however it's expected to be standard in Dubai , Abu Dhabi and Sharjah shortly as Dubai started early 2016 to enforce environmental protecting rules as collecting used lubricants and lubricants polluted fabrics and tissues and panning of using wood mushes on cleaning process at car workshops.

@barry can tell you more about extra costs for these polices.     

2 hours ago, Ak said:

Coolant aint mixing with oils etc . It has its own complete closed loop separate so what is the source of toxins and other lead etc ?

corrosion inside the radiator is all I can think off.

Thanks. This was the answer i was waiting for . A good quality coolant is always having a mixture of anti corrosion it. We shd always go for that.

Having that filled and with out a barrier blown we cant have heavy metals ,rust ,iron lead and etc. It should only lose its shelf life thats it. 

With kind regards

@Saleem this is something I need to investigate further. If you have any useful links etc. I would appreciate very much. 

I do know that in UK garages, nothing goes in the drain. All coolants, waste oils, brake fluid must be stored in bunded containers. Old rags, empty spray tins, used absorbant granules all go in their own container. Using sand or sawdust to soak up spills is a big no no. Old batteries go in a special sealed container. All containers etc. are collected by the recycling company once a month. For some things such as waste oil, batteries, you get money for recycling them. Other things such as coolant, rags etc. you have to pay to recycle them. The environmental agency carries out regular visits to ensure people are complying with the regulations. 

The rules in scrapyards are even tougher. All yards must be fully concreted, draining into a receptor tank which separates oil and water from the runoff. Oil is emptied from the receptor and the clean water coming from the receptor is regularly tested for ph and contaminants. Any soil which has oil spilt on it must also be sent to the recycling centre. Even soil which has had plastic or tyres stored on it is classed as contaminated land. PCBs are also classed as hazardous waste so most scrapyards are not allowed to touch electrical equipment without a special licence. You also need another special licence to deal with fridges.

The environmental agency had the potential to cause a lot of headaches for me but i always did my best to ensure everything was kept legal. As long as you're making a genuine effort and not being an asshole about it, they will generally just tell you about any problems and give you a chance to rectify it. If you're an asshole, they just fine you first time and some of the fines have potential to bankrupt small businesses. 

On 9/13/2016 at 10:17 AM, Barry said:

@Saleem this is something I need to investigate further. If you have any useful links etc. I would appreciate very much. 

I do know that in UK garages, nothing goes in the drain. All coolants, waste oils, brake fluid must be stored in bunded containers. Old rags, empty spray tins, used absorbant granules all go in their own container. Using sand or sawdust to soak up spills is a big no no. Old batteries go in a special sealed container. All containers etc. are collected by the recycling company once a month. For some things such as waste oil, batteries, you get money for recycling them. Other things such as coolant, rags etc. you have to pay to recycle them. The environmental agency carries out regular visits to ensure people are complying with the regulations. 

The rules in scrapyards are even tougher. All yards must be fully concreted, draining into a receptor tank which separates oil and water from the runoff. Oil is emptied from the receptor and the clean water coming from the receptor is regularly tested for ph and contaminants. Any soil which has oil spilt on it must also be sent to the recycling centre. Even soil which has had plastic or tyres stored on it is classed as contaminated land. PCBs are also classed as hazardous waste so most scrapyards are not allowed to touch electrical equipment without a special licence. You also need another special licence to deal with fridges.

The environmental agency had the potential to cause a lot of headaches for me but i always did my best to ensure everything was kept legal. As long as you're making a genuine effort and not being an asshole about it, they will generally just tell you about any problems and give you a chance to rectify it. If you're an asshole, they just fine you first time and some of the fines have potential to bankrupt small businesses. 

You can check this link:

https://www.dm.gov.ae/wps/portal/!ut/p/a1/nZLBT4MwGMX_lXngyFoobOCN7eAkJosuZqMXU-Cj1EDLaDfUv17QXUwccza99MuvL-99eYiiHaKSHQVnRijJquFNZy_OfeA5izWO14_Ex5E7X_rL1RPBsdsDSQ_gMyfCo__vfLRFFNFMmsaUKMnrTEkDw-WV0KWFS1WDhdODFhK0tjDIo2iVrHtmwmQ-yRTTRg8aTSZylPhpUQR5Ruzcg8z2HObYIXZCm3jguoUDYUj8k-cRUxcyb0B--x5TcU_AyGpiRHml0q81J5FMScARbaGAFtrpoe3HpTGNvrWwhbuum3KleAVTBr_xpdIG7X5iSR90ftbiYoY2V27ugiC5WjD-Q7_E635Po74lQzfe-pD_rklTP9cBebfj1ccDbG2WBpj4Fb_5BKPQ_QI!/?1dmy&current=true&urile=wcm%3apath%3a%2Fdmcontentenglish%2Fhome%2Fbusiness%2Fenvironment%2Band%2Bcoasts%2Ftechnicalguidelines

and you still able to make some old tricks!