•  
Advertise here

Best offroad vehicle for Dubai desert

You have to complete the maintenance or else you invite trouble.. One thing that rides must need repair....you say that new car doesn't breakdown but actually when ie after 5 years when you sell out the maintenances come crashing over the head of the new user...I have a workshop and I get to gear that alot...guy comes in and says I bought the car few weeks or months ago and now this happens...then I am like did you had this done and he's like I don't know....

People thing that if the car passes the RTA test then it fine...actually its not that way there are many things they leave out dnt or can't cheak...plus you have those who have been hired but can't differentiate between power oil and engine oil...and then those too who dnt even know if a car has power steering or not...I have proof with me that's why I am talking I still have the shamil test report which failed for a steering leak but the car itself dnt had a surprise power steering installed from japan

I hear you and understand fully on the maintenance issue, I call it a defer maintenance for the next buyer.

My point here for being offroad ride older than 15-20 years it's gonna break more often overall and not in general maintenance issue, lIke axle joints or axle itself due to lot of strain on 15 years old metal it gives up. Shock absorber, springs, differential, 4x4, auto gearbox, Radiator, AC compressor, bushes, foundations etc. Been there, done that. 

Do you know every car manufacturer in the world have two different service interval for normal road use vs adverse conditions because in adverse condition (too hold or too cold or too dusty) car component takes a serious toll on everything and after some time, things will break faster than expected. This is why desert safari guys love to flip their Land Cruisers at 100-150k km mark, where as cruisers have been running on road for 300-500k km with regular and minimal maintenance.

I run a automotive workshop here I ajman...I fully understand what both services mean...anyways I wasn't imposing anything just expressing my views as to what would be a nice ride in the desert condition...

• 8 months later...

Well from my humble experience, I think Pajero should be on your list considering the price. Don't get me wrong, I love the jeep and the looks as well. However, I am a family guy and I do use my car for offroading in the desrert.

Need few things to consider:

1- 3.8L engine and not less, the car is a tank and needs the power + rear differential.

2- You need to add few costs before the car is offroad ready (so you don't damage your car!). We are talkign around additional 9000 AED.

3- Short wheel base would be best (I have long wheel base).

4- Need to change your stock suspensions. The suspensions are too soft and whould cause your car to dip into the sand easly. Even better, you may want to consider a 2" lift.

5- Skid plates (espectially rear) is a must!

6- Not best serveice at the dealer. Worshop repairs takes too long.

7- Dealer is very strict about thier warranty.

8- Car is great ride!

9- Consider shaving the front bumper fins (drags in the sand if car is not lifted).

IMG_2402.JPGIMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

WOW you guys are awesome in suggesting best vehicle for desert. Nice, very detailed and helpful thread.

Can you guys also please help me choose the best truck here? Thanks in advance and sorry for thread-jacking.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2015 at 6:31 PM, tenace said:

I would go for Mitsubishi Pajero. This is an excellent SUV. Very stable and durable and the best part is that it doesn't spend too much gas. 

1997-2000_Mitsubishi_Pajero_(NL)_GLS_wag

I Love you for this I have a Manual Trans Exceed (GCC) its a Beast in the Desert

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of vehicles used for desert safari. But the things you need to observe that are the power ratio for the vehicle, its engine strength and other main things. Land Cruiser is the best for choice, and I hope this vehicle will not disappoint you and not to be the cause for you to say sorry. I suggest this one, because I already tried this one. Nice experience with this vehicle.

5 hours ago, William Manning said:

There are lots of vehicles used for desert safari. But the things you need to observe that are the power ratio for the vehicle, its engine strength and other main things. Land Cruiser is the best for choice, and I hope this vehicle will not disappoint you and not to be the cause for you to say sorry. I suggest this one, because I already tried this one. Nice experience with this vehicle.

If you meant the two door LC76, then I totally agree. 

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@William Manning you must be joking by saying Toyota Land Cruiser is the best offroad vehicle for dubai desert.....!

Don't be mistaken by desert safari choice as they use Land Cruiser as a donkey for daily track and hardly do couple of sidey's to impress. Real expert off-roader can drive corolla on the same desert safari track. These people choose Land Cruiser as it is cheapest to maintain and damn reliable than any other SUV in UAE, but it is not "best off-roader".

Why it is not best, because it has THE WORST body weight-power ratio and its long wheel base make it less appealing for dune crossing or ridge riding. In new models LC200 that comes with lower lip that get bashed up in first two drive and cost a fortune to fix. This misleading info from desert safari impression cost too much for every individual who think if safari guys using this for commercial use then it must be the best 4x4 out there. No it's not, I'm sorry.

• Like (+1) 3

• Gaurav featured this topic