•  
Advertise here

Is Mercedes S class dependable?

How dependable are these cars? I've heard  different things about the S class. Some say that they haveproblems during the first 6 months of ownership and others say that they're very dependable. So, what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one new from AbuDhabi in December 2009 and its honestly its just like their tag line, the best or nothing ;-)..its like a yacht on wheels, it simply glides on the roads.

Its best thing in its class on wheels for a luxurious drive and everyother emotion that comes with it. Of course I treat her well and make sure all the services are done on time and I usually do mine at the dealer itself.

So if you ask me is it dependable for the last 5 years and 80K kms driven...YES

Things to look out for:

Tires cost me a bomb the first time I changed it with the recommended Continental SPort, but for the next change I got great quality korean ones and its been great for 1.5 years and that at a fraction of the cost.

It isnt all roses though, i did present me with a rather big issue once in the last 5 years, but I was told many times thats its a one in a million chance that I get that kind of an issue especially with an S class.

Anyway theres one advice I would give anyone getting a luxury car..take the extended warranty, if you dont get it with the car. This is what saved me a lot of money. It covers all the major works and it saved me almost 50K and it  cost me 12k for 5 years for the warranty contract.

Good luck and save up for it. Its worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks timmyjt, for sharing your wonderful experience report. I am so attracted to S class comfy and grace that I always wanted to buy one but get scared with mix opinions. In my case I will be buying slightly used model like 2-3 years used maximum, so that I get the half price of actual cost and then drive for 2-3 years. I appreciate your advise for service contract and will definitely take extra caution while browsing cars in market. Thanks.

1. Well it's also worth buying car that has full service history as you don't wanna do the deferred maintenance of previous owner.
  2. S class depreciation faster than ice, So stick to S350 league that has best value, second best value is for S500. Totally stay away from S600 (worst resale).
  3. Get the car full check up before buying, preferably with Gargash if you can afford to eliminate any surprises for later on.

I know a close friend who got S600 for filthy cheap and in two months time suspension died and he has to spend huge money to get it fix that and he wasn't able to afford it so he sold as is in half the price.

Bottom line: Go with S Class if you have deep pockets and get newer model (under 50k kms) and enjoy it, before it start all the drama.

Hi

The S class is the benchmark for these class and all manufacturers are trying to match Mercedes quality.

so if you like to have it just do it and be sure from the car condition before going with the deal so it's better to spend some more and take it to the dealer for inspection.

and be sure whatever you spent later to repair something you'll not repair it again!

Enjoy the luxury cruse

Good Luck!

Saleem, I accept that S class is good in luxury option but calling them benchmark is not quite true. There are very fine Jaguar, BMW, Lexus and Porsche rules far above S class level, no offence. Be it from luxury options, spaciousness, new tech, performance Mercedes is not at the top yet for sure.

Hi Amitaj

Mercedes is a benchmark in automotive industry and no one can deny it!

I agree with you that other brands that you mentioned is offering a better driving experience than the Mercedes while Mercedes remains the best ride experience for passengers and the most reliable I ever had among all of them.

so think about it like a wife option:

1- An age developed lady doesn't spent much money with a decent look (Mercedes)

2- An age developed lady that need to visit doctors clinics monthly with prestigious look (Jaguar)

3- A younger beautiful wife that brakes her hi-hills with her youth actions (BMW)

4- An average beautiful wife that didn't finish her education (Lexus)

5- An athletic wife that need to visit her doctors and have her vitamins on time (Porsche)

So you have to make your choice which one you can live with!

by the way you may have several options (ore than one wife allowed)!

• Like (+1) 1

LOL...now thats a first to compare car makes to a wife...

All are good cars and as compared, certain are better at certain aspects and so it comes down to choosing what is important for you.

I am told by many that the S class Merc is best chauffeur driven as the passengers have the best ride rather than the driver, the Beamer on the other hand is perhaps more of a driver's car being more responsive to the driver, whilst keeping the passengers relatively comfortable.

In certain parts of the world, each brand has a value attached to it. In South India, I believe it is the Merc that commands the most respect for now, as Merc has been around in India for 20 years and people know its a luxury brand. With the entry of all the other brands to India now, people  have started accepting the other brands as luxury.

I agree with Amitaj, that Merc is not a benchmark in that luxury league.

I agree with Saleem's hilarious explanation of cars as per wife's. Damn good, creative and superbly suiting on each car segment.

I highly agree with timmyjt explanation that BMW 7 series, Merc S class is not a drivers car's it's meant for chaufeur driven so that passenger, expecially rear one can get spoilt with luxury what these cars offer.

SUPER LIKE:

1- An age developed lady doesn't spent much money with a decent look (Mercedes)

2- An age developed lady that need to visit doctors clinics monthly with prestigious look (Jaguar)

3- A younger beautiful wife that brakes her hi-hills with her youth actions (BMW)

4- An average beautiful wife that didn't finish her education (Lexus)

5- An athletic wife that need to visit her doctors and have her vitamins on time (Porsche)