•  
Advertise here

High speed wobbling oscillation

Im having an old discovery, bought recently for the construction work area visit to nearby emirates than breaking my own car. This car runs just fine and does what exactly its meant to do, but at high speed above 100 there is weird wobbling that develops like an oscillation and then when I leave gas it goes back in reverse order of same oscillation.

I got all 4 wheel balancing done, I tried opening the tires to see if there is any sand inside (per my offroad experience) which usually result in such weird oscillation wobbling but I am totally clueless on this one. I hope someone more educated can shed some light here.......! Thanks.

I don't mean to sound that you have not done it properly but problem what you are explaining is exactly happens coz of imbalance tires.

As per my experience with tire shops, I have spotted couple of times that they leave the last fraction of imbalance of 5-10 as acceptable, unless you stand on their head and tell them to make zero on both sides, they don't care. Have you actually seen this by your eyes, if not not do that please.

Hi Danny, no offence taken mate. I have got the two times alignment already and yes you were right in second time I was standing on their head to make it perfect zero on both sides or else will not pay a penny. 

Alas, it's still wobble :-(

It's a known issue of Discovery that after certain age and you can get this fixed very easily by replacing a U-Joint for drive shaft that connect the axle with gearbox/4x4. People here (when they get service) never grease the u-joint through the small nipples provided on the sides and hence it fails after a while running dry. They should be less than 100 dhs and I think it has 2 or 4 joints, change all of them and see the MAJOR difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks Nutbolt and I showed my disco to one of the garage near my house and you were damn right the drive shaft U-Joint was dried from last century and so hard and sounding so tight. Will arrange a new joint and get them replace as soon as possible. Hopefully this brings the disco dance to end.

Ethan: Axle boot is fine and I think that has no impact on wobbling, as axle boot torn make noise of clak clak while on turns and especially full circle turn. Anyways. thanks for your advise.

Finally got the u-joint changed and here comes to the end of wobbly ride and even slow speed grinding that I was ignoring from some time. It amazes me more now that how smooth and perfect more than a decade old discovery has become with this minor fix. Big thanx to all of you here.