•  
Advertise here

Reviving old model beetle

So we have this run down beetle (1973 model) that's been in our compound for close to ten years now. My dad says the engine had problems and he didn't know where to start to revive it. So now after so many years am thinking of bringing it back to life. Anybody with any advice that can help me bring this classic baby to life?

This definitely seems like a lots and lots of work and something require true passion, love, time, money and great resources for sourcing parts that can bring this oldie to life again. Instead of finding a problem with engine, I would suggest to plonk another motor that seems to fit in that engine bay. Older engines in general are bigger in size so the newer model let's 90's or 2000's engine might fit in with little modification and custom made adapters. You should start your research in closest matching engine in terms of size and orientation and then find a capable turning guys who can design the mounts and adapters especially the flywheel part. Once you have these two fall in its place rest everything else will follow sooner or later. Good luck and have fun, take lot of pictures.

• Like (+1) 1

Mark has put very valuable info already, once that stage is satisfied you also need to check the gearbox functionality and more importantly find a new gearbox that mates with the new engine. This way it's lot easier to swap the engine and gearbox at one shot and get the car moving on its own asap. In scrapyard you usually get these two both joined together so no more extra hunting or headache. Even if you don't use the new gearbox buy it and keep it handy as more than likely you will need it soon to replace or get the donor parts.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe you can sell it as-is as a classic car and buy newer model with same money. If you have emotions attached to it, then it's otherwise.