•  
Advertise here

AC not cooling while standing

My Pathfinder AC is not cooling enough while standing in traffic or in slow moving traffic, but when car runs on free road it works fine. Showed to two different mechanics and each has a different opinion:

1. AC gas need top-up, check for the leak, fix the leak and top-up gas: 200-300 AED depending on time required to search leak and fix it.
  2. AC compressor is weak and need change: 2500 AED.

I don't mind spending 300 to eliminate that doubt, but what if compressor is weak then again I will spend same 300 for adding gas and bla bla. help me guys please.

Well from your quick explanation it definitely sound like weak compressor in 90% of chances however in some very cases if car is low on freon behaves like this. If it's low on freon then when you move the car it will take time to get proper cooling. So note for yourself, if car cools immediately within 10-30 seconds of driving then it's a weak compressor. If car takes 2-5 minutes or more after driving on free road that mean your car is lower on freon. 

• Like (+1) 1

@javed if the car moves then only it cools could also mean that the condenser fan might not be working or giving full rpms....see this is ac work it has many factors which decide what should be done even changing compressor alone might not save the day if you have dirt in the lines...which will bring you back to square one so you will have to begin again from scratch... I have done automotive engineering... And we provide work with warranty...

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks guys, I got third opinion lol after all the confusion and he says he is not sure but cheapest way is to test with adding gas (100 AED) and drive for few days and see for yourself. Yes he did clean in front of car in inside grill with air and lot of sand appeared to gush out (thanks shadow79). So far it's doing good since last 18 hours and I am crossing my fingers and toes to keep it that way as AC compressor shit is gonna be expensiveeeee.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/22/2015 at 6:04 PM, victor said:

Thanks guys, I got third opinion lol after all the confusion and he says he is not sure but cheapest way is to test with adding gas (100 AED) and drive for few days and see for yourself. Yes he did clean in front of car in inside grill with air and lot of sand appeared to gush out (thanks shadow79). So far it's doing good since last 18 hours and I am crossing my fingers and toes to keep it that way as AC compressor shit is gonna be expensiveeeee.

and freon leak will for sure very soon push all the gas out. so lets spend some time and then check again. regards