•  
Advertise here

Pajero AC is not strong for extreme heat

Any suggestions or upgrades available to make bloddy Pajero AC as strong as Toyota SUV, In extreme heat it just work but not work fine or sufficient to keep the car cool especially in stop and go traffic. Secondly after starting the car it takes about 15-20 minutes to get the car cool and by the time I reach home with sweating back. Discussed this matter several times with Habtoor service advisor and seems like they give blind eye and deaf ear to this issue and show me the car AC cooling under their covered workshop.

I am looking for some type of idea to upgrade to expensive quality AC Gas (freon) if it exists for better cooling? Or increasing the AC power supply that can make it work harder and provide better cooling? Or anything reasonably doable to improvise Pajero AC cooling in Dubai extreme heat at 42 degrees and above......? Thanks.

I am no expert on mitsu, but this is very typical condition when car manufacturer chooses mid-range AC compressor in big and bulky car that has lot of room to cool it and that's why in extreme heat AC cooling give out. You can only upgrade to bigger SUV AC compressor if you are really very sensitive on this point. Any good AC expert can advice you what will happily fit your current AC compressor slot or do bit of google and see if anyone has upgraded their AC compressor in Pajero?

Upgrade to Toyota or Nissan, with bigger engine size and you will enjoy the ice cube throwing cooling. I had dinky engine Peugeot in past and I can relate to your feelings when everything else is perfect other than AC and you can't sell the car only for that one reason, but sadly that one reason make you cry and provoke you to sell it immediately.

Hi

I Think your car in dark color like black and dark blue and tinting would not reflect much heat as much as dark color body absorbs!

changing compressor would impact your manufacturer warranty! (so forget it)

if you have a sunroof tilt it pop it up or roll down windows 1 cm while you park the car and that would release the hot air out side and cover your leather seats (specially black & grey) with joy-textile covers from accessory shops (chose light colors to reflect heat) and always put the sun shade on the windshield to avoid heating the dashboard and steering wheel and be sure to open all windows every time you start the car and close the cycle on the AC

• 4 months later...

Hi anoop,

All the other posters make good points, but the real problem here is that the AC can only work with what it has available.

In this case there are a few possible problems:

1) There is not enough gas in the system to provide a proper cooling effect. You mention that you have a 2008 model, and it is more than likely that much of the gas has leaked from the system. There are about 15-20 places in an AC system from which refrigerant can leak, but even if all these joints are gas tight, the gas can (and do) leak through the material of the rubber hoses over time.

You mention that it takes a long time for the system to start cooling the car- this is typical of a low system pressure, so if I were you, I would have the system pressure checked, or have  the system flushed and recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant. 

NOTE: if the refrigerant has leaked out, it means that moisture could have entered the system. Ideally, there should be no more than 2% of moisture in the refrigerant. Every percentage point more than 2% can cause a drop of 1 degree in cooling performance.

2) It is also possible that the thermostat that controls the internal temperature in the car does not work correctly. If this happens, it may send a signal to the compresssor that the car is cool (as set by the controls) so the compressor stops working. Have the thermostat checked or replaced so that the compressor receives the correct signals.

3.) Check to see that the internal fan work properly. If it does not, the extreme heat in the car will prevent the heat exhanger in the car to distribute cool air effectively. The fan is the only way to distribute cool air, so have its speed checked out.

4) Check that the cabin filter is not blocked, dirty, or clogged up. If this filter does not let anough air through, the system is starved of air to circulate to cooled air. The symptoms of a clogged cabin filter include poor cooling, no cooling, or cooling that takes a long time to be felt.

I hope this helps, but as one poster said, forget about upgrades because it is expensive, and often cause more trouble than they are worth.

• 3 months later...

Dear Sir . I donot agree as below .

Leaking is a continuous process and one day no gas will b inside means no cooling at all. He is complaining of low cooling while starting and standing on signals that has nothing to do with leaking.

Moisture will only enter the system when the pressure inside is less than out side meaning no gass at all. This ll b last stage and no cooling will occur.

Pajero ac is not as good as compared with others.

Leaking also results in less cooling but that is less all the time and decreasing and ine day no cooling at all. With a leas gas u will not get goood cooling when u r running full speed.

Kind regards