•  
Advertise here

Pros & Cons of US/Japanese Spec Cars

tailwind

How safe or otherwise is buying or importing a US or Japanese Spec cars in UAE. Apart from warranty, is it true that the cars are not suited for harsh gulf summers. Some say texas is as hot as UAE and there is no difference. Others say the cooling and a/c system are different for different markets.
Any expert advice

Very interesting and debatable topic. I can write tons and tons on this topic as I have been there done that and seen many friends suffering.

In short if you live in UAE, going with GCC specs is far better and headache free way to own any car for below reasons:

1. First off course warranty
  2. Made for harsh climate
  3. Dealers will happily work on it 
  4. Roadside mechanic can also work on it
  5. Better resale value
  6. Better reliability

I had Jeep grand cherokee US spec long back and every time in summer while driving hard it used to overheat and I spend so much to change basic stuff as much as I can afford and after 5-6k spending on 18k car I call it off.

People who make this Texas story is actually the guys who have been suffering in Dubai heat with inoperable car and now want to sell it for less to get rid of. I have not seen one guy yet in last 7 years in UAE who have been driving 100% stock American car in 50+ degrees heat.

I said this is interesting topic, as to see in this car forum if anyone have ever live up to that claims in Dubai. Please step forward guys.....!

US Specs are built cheaper as they don't use expensive parts for meeting Gulf heat and that's why it's always having 20-30% lower resale value. You get what you pay for......!

Cars My passion :mrgreen:  :ugeek:

If you like my above post, please press Like / Thanks on right side to help me increase my rating

I have experienced big issue with EU spec Lexus GS430 in the past when car shut down in the middle of the road without any warning or issues. It took me weeks thru Lexus Japan emails and calls to request Al Futtaim to diagnose the problem and then Al futtaim took additional time to source EU specs wiring diagrams. In the end it was a minor short circuit in anti-theft device that locked down the whole car and costed me 1000 AED to by pass that device.

Bottom line, you might or might not face any big challenge with non-gcc specs car based on your good luck but if you require any specialize hand from car dealers in UAE they will simply won't support non-gcc specs as per their business policies and knowledge + experience.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.