•  
Advertise here

2008 Honda Accord sunroof closing issue

harryd

My 2008 Accord sunroof used to open and close just fine before a month. Went for a vacation and came back and tried opening the sunroof last night and it was all good, after I reach home I tried closing the sunroof and it comes close to the end panel and then revert to open position again. Tried 5-10 times with no help, then finally did the pushy way of pushing the sunroof toward close position while its rolling and it finally went inside the last panel and close the sunroof lid properly.

What am i seeing here guys, expert advise needed. Thanks a bunch for help.

Hi Harry, please open the sunrof in daylight and climb on side of the car and check the sunroof rail for visible damage on the sides or edges where rail ends or check for the screwdriver marks on outside the sunroof glass. I am suspecting that when you were on holiday someone might have tried to break into your car by opening the sunroof to gain access that is usually not alarmed. If everything is clean and no visible marks then do the belowsteps.

Get the good powerful vaccuum and open the sunroof fully and clean the rail thorougly by sucking the air and then by reversing by throwing the strong air pressure in and around the rail. Here I am assuming the dust or some loose tree leave or twig is blocking in the sunroof rail, that might be preventing it to close it properly.

Hope anyof my above two solution help, please red like it my answer. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks a lot Kasim, I have done exactly same what you mentioned. I was down in my parking this evening for 2 hours with all the tools and gears. Didn't find any marking over the sunroof for the possible tampering. Didn't find any dust or tree leave in sunroof, blown with vaccum cleaner for 5-10 times nicely but still same problem persist. It looks like I need to take this to some good mechanic to diagnose it now.

Or anyone else has some other great suggestions here?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi harryd,

2008 Honda Accords have a known problem with the sunroof not closing, and in most cases, the problem iinvolves the limit switches that control the distance the sunroof travels. The limit switches cut power to the motor when the sunroof reaches the end of its travel to prevent the motor burning out.

However, to replace the limit switches you need to remove the headliner, and  you can do this yourself if you follow the instructions in a good repair manual. Before you remove the headliner, check your user manual to see if your model has a manual release and closing feature. This is usually hidden by a plastic plug behind the sunroof. Not all Hondas have this feature though, so check your user manual to see if yours have it.

It can also happen that the the control system loses its settings. There are many reasons why this can happen, so before you do anything else, try resetting the system by doing the following:

1. Close driver’s door, leave it closed during the whole procedure.
  2. Turn ignition to LOCK (0).
  3. Press and hold the tilt switch, and turn ignition to ON (II).
  4. Release the tilt switch, and turn ignition to LOCK (0).
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 four times.
  6. Check if the AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function still work. If they still work, the AUTO functions have not been cleared, go back to step 1. If AUTO functions have been cleared, go to step 7.
  7. Press and hold the sunroof open switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the sunroof is fully opened.
  8. Press and hold the sunroof close switch for at least 3 additional seconds after the sunroof is fully closed (tilted).
  9. Confirm that the sunroof control unit is reset by using the sunroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.

I hope this helps. If it does, please post the results of the resetting procedure for the benefit of other members with the same problem.