•  
Advertise here

SRS light coming after starting in Touareg

I am using 2005 VW touareg since 3-4 years and now I was planning to sell and one of the buyer said that it has this SRS light in dashboard and that's why he don't want to buy my car.

To be honest, I never paid any attention to that light and it has never bothered me for anything. Now I am in a fix to deal with this petit issue, so wondering at fiorst place what it is and how to fix it? Thanks all.

Hi Lamaar, hope you doing good today. For the SRS light issue in short the answer, there is some airbag issue in your car which is a safety aspect and that's why its showing you the light that in case of serious accident your car airbag might not pop-out. In case of some previous accident the airbag sensor might not have changed as it's expensive fix and that why car ECU still reads as air-bag is having an issue.

This is def a bit involved repair than something you can do it yourself. You definitely need an experienced workshop who specialize in VW or such jobs to get this fixed.

Hi Iamaar,

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Authority, Volkswagen is aware of the problem with defective airbag wiring, which is why they issued Technical Service Bulletin #69-05-02.

According to the bulletin, the repair involves replacing a wiring connection with a direct connection, so I would suggest you take your Touareg to a dealer to have the problem corrected. According to the bulletin, all vehicles built before November of 2004 are eligible for the repair.

As a previous poster pointed out, this is a safety critical issue, and you should really have it seen to without delay.

For the benefit of all other Toureg owners who have the same problem, I reproduce the details of the Bulletin here;

ON 02/2005, VW ISSUED A TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN (TSB #69-05-02) TO ADDRESS THIS CONDITION BY REPLACING THE CONNECTOR WITH A DIRECT CONNECTION. VW'S TESTING HAS SHOWN THAT PROPER DEPLOYMENT OF THE SIDE AIR BAG IS NOT AFFECTED BY THE CONNECTOR FAULT. HOWEVER, THERE ARE A LARGE NUMBER OF WARRANTY CLAIMS DUE TO AIR BAG LIGHT (ABL) ILLUMINATION. VW IS PLANNING TO INITIATE A "TOUAREG SERVICE PACK"/ CUSTOMER SATISFACTION CAMPAIGN (CSC) IN DECEMBER 2006. VW WILL REPLACE THE SIDE AIR BAG WIRING CONNECTOR WITH A DIRECT CONNECTION ON ALL REMAINING UNCORRECTED VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 11/2004. IN ADDITION, VW REPORTS THAT A SMALL NUMBER OF VEHICLES BUILT IN OCTOBER AND NOVEMBER 2003, MAY CONTAIN AN INCORRECTLY MANUFACTURED SIDE AIR BAG MODULE. THIS ALSO MAY PRODUCE ABL ILLUMINATION THAT WOULD BECOME EVIDENT SOON AFTER THE VEHICLE IS PUT INTO SERVICE. WARRANTY DATA INDICATES THAT THESE MODULES HAVE BEEN CORRECTED AND NO LONGER PRESENT A RISK. VW HAS NOT RECEIVED ANY ALLEGED SIDE AIR BAG NON-DEPLOYMENT REPORT. ACTION TAKEN BY THE MANUFACTURER IS SUFFICIENT TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE RAISED BY THIS INVESTIGATION. THE CLOSING OF THIS INVESTIGATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A FINDING BY NHTSA THAT NO SAFETY-RELATED DEFECT EXISTS. THE AGENCY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO TAKE FURTHER ACTION IF WARRANTED BY THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE06022&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Iamaar

You have to check it by a diagnostic system and note the following:

- red light on dash means that air bag failure as mentioned above.

- yellow or orange light means that you have a seat sensor failure or seat belt sensor or igniter failure which usually happens after interior cleaning and detailing due to seat removal and installation and some time after replacing or disconnecting battery.

Good Luck 

• Like (+1) 1