•  
Advertise here

Which engine oil for P38A - Gems Engine (1999 Model)

Jeh

Which engine oil for P38A - Gems Engine (1999 Model)   

2 members have voted

1. 1. So which engine oil spec and brand do you prefer for this beast..Please specify the brand as well.

• 0W - 40
    • 5W - 40
    • 10W - 40

Hi,

Interesting topic, and in our hot climate in the UAE, I would go for a full synthetic oil every time. However, some synthetic formulations are not miscible with mineral oil (or other types of synthetic oil), so make sure the label says it is miscible with mineral oil.

The problem involves the raw materials the synthetic oil is made from. As a general rule, synthetics that are condensed out of methane and carbon monoxide are safe to use, since they can be mixed with almost any other oil, but some newer formulations don't mix with anything, which means that you will end up with something that looks like Jello, which will destroy your engine.

Synthetic oil has the advantage that all the molecules are exactly the same size, which means that in practice, all the valleys and peaks (known as asperities) in the wear surfaces in your engine hold more oil. Thus, your piston rings have a bigger supply of oil, and since all the molecules are the same size, the entire cylinder wall surface area receives up to twice the amount of lubrication a mineral oil can supply.

In addition, synthetic oil is much more thermally stable than any mineral oil. All this means is the the viscosity of the oil, which is the oil's resisance to flow, is more uniform during the entire temperature range of the engine. I am not too sure about all the available brands of oil in the UAE, but any oil that carries both the ASE, and European Auto Makers' Association seal of approval will work- provided it states on the label that it can be mixed with other oils.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi,

Interesting topic, but in your climate, I would go for a full synthetic oil every time. However, some synthetic formulations are not miscible with mineral oil (or other types of synthetic oil), so make sure the label says it is micsible with mineral oil.

The problem involves the raw materials the synthetic oil is made from. As a general rule, synthetics that are condensed out of methane and carbon monoxide are safe to use, since they can be mixed with almost any other oil, but some newer formulations don't mix with anything, which means that you will end up with something that looks like Jello, which will destroy your engine.

Synthetic oil has the advantage that all the molecules are exactly the same size, which means that in practice, all the valleys and peaks (known as asperities) in the wear surfaces in your engine hold more oil. Thus, your piston rings have a bigger supply of oil, and since all the molecules are the same size, the entire cylinder wall surface area receives up to twice the amount of lubrication a mineral oil can supply.

In addition, synthetic oil is much more thermally stable than any mineral oil. All this means is the the viscosity of the oil, which is the oil's resisance to flow, is more uniform during the entire temperature range of the engine. I am not too sure about the available brands of oil in the UAE, but any oil that carries both the ASE, and European Auto Makers' Association seal ofapproval will work- provided it states on the label that it can be mixed with other oils.

Thanks Gautam for a very insightful post.

However can you please say all that in English so that normal non technical people  like me  can understand? Since i am not aware which is fully synthetic and which is mineral in 0W, 5W and 10W...Also nowhere in your post i see the mention of the 3 types of oils that i am asking people to vote for. 

Can you please emphasize on these 3 types only and explain accordingly.. Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

If your Range is leaking, which it should be after so many years.

Go with semi synthetic oil and not fully synthetic oil as it will leak more due to thin viscosity of the oil. Of course fully is better as explained above, but you need to strike a balance between what says inside the engine vs how good it is.

Secondly it's healthy to change every 5k-7k than waiting till 10-15k in the aged model due to frequent change will keep your engine more clean and maintain adequate level of oil inside the engine than on the parking spot.

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thanks Gautam for a very insightful post.

However can you please say all that in English so that normal non technical people  like me  can understand? Since i am not aware which is fully synthetic and which is mineral in 0W, 5W and 10W...Also nowhere in your post i see the mention of the 3 types of oils that i am asking people to vote for. 

Can you please emphasize on these 3 types only and explain accordingly.. Thanks. 

Hi Jeh,

Both 0W and 5W are synthetic oils. 10W is a blend of synthetic and mineral oil also called as semi-synthetic. I must perhaps mention that by "synthetic", I mean that the oil does not contain crude oil pumped from the ground. Instead, it is made condensing hydro-carbon rich gasses like methane, carbon monoxide and others, depending on the characteristics the manufacturer wants the final product to have.

Synthetic oil also contains additives like detergents, anti-foaming agents, corrosion inhibitors, and friction modifiers, but because synthetic oil does not react to oxygen as much as mineral oil does, the additives last longer, hence the longer oil change intervals on engines that run on synthetic oil. I hope that explains it a little better.