•  
Advertise here

Lifetime Transmission Oil: May need regular change

imanlang

After almost 4 years and 80KM with my cx9 2012, i felt some gear jerking from 1st - 2nd and vice versa. It was intermittent but happens when reverse parking the car or going for a full stop in traffic signal. The gearbox is sealed and unable to check the state of the oil so I ask the dealer to check but found nothing wrong. I am still in doubt and may lead to more expensive repair in the future.

Q1:  What is the warranty of the CX9 transmission here in UAE?

Q2: Is changing the transmission oil help? If so, does anyone tried with the dealer? how much does it usually cost?

thanks.

For sure every sealed transmission filled with lifetime oil should be changed at 40k-50k IRRESPECTIVE of what dealers or car manufacturer says. It's a bunch of bullshit to not to let people fidle with gearoil dipstick and eventually replace the gearbox right after 80k - 100k as soon as warranty runs out. That's what the lifetime means, lifetime of gear box and not car. This gear box change cost them 20k AED atleast instead of 500 AED (assuming) gear oil change.

My advise: DO NOT DRIVE EVEN A KM, put a car on recovery and get the gear oil change and gear filter AT THE EARLIEST if you are lucky you will be saved and may be not as 80k is the already an extreme last limit.

Check with dealer and if they can't or don't want, get it done outside with some good garage. This oil change is not a rocket science than opening the gearbox drain plug and refill with original gear oil. To be on super safe side, buy yourself gear oil and gear oil filter from dealer so no room for error and get it changed from any workshop as soon as you can.

PS: Do not listen to any crap stories that tells you it's not required. Every one who says that, they have been trained to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

In American car it is recommended to change gear oil at 100k miles means 160k km, so if we use that approximation in your case of Mazda then 80K is fine to change even if dealer says it's lifetime. It's a marketing thing....!

I highly agree with Danny boi advise to change gear oil and filter asap w/o any delay.

whoa, never thought i was way overdue. thanks guys.

One thing I found out from invoice is warranty is 5 years or 140Km, whichever comes first. I can wait for this tranny to fail and claim, OR pay 500+ AED from my pocket now as they dont want to change.

Does anyone knows a good workshop knowledgeable for this type of service aside from the dealer?