•  
Advertise here

2009 Honda Accord Poor Front + Rear pads and replacement

Swaraj

Hi guy,

I need a solution for Honda accord brake problem that is consistently annoying me from the day one I bought it. I thought that Honda is the most efficient and best car among Honda vehicle. I invested all of my earning for one year without thinking that those money can be useful to family. I bought this car!! 
I bought this car in 2009 feb and now the car had run for approx 133000 km. 
I am facing that this is my 9th time I am replacing again front + rear pads and rotors.

I don’t understand here is this a problem from the manufacturer end or maybe I am using break in a wrong way. 

Should I change the brakes pads again or if there is a way to avoid this unwanted repair every now and then. Might be I am using break roughly. Because I am having habit of driving fast. 

What you think guy? Please suggest? 

Hi Swaraj,

Honda does not have a reputation for bad brakes, and I think the problem here is that the normal, stock pads and rotors are not designed for the way you drive. You say that you have a habit of driving fast, so I think you must upgrade to better pads, and perhaps drilled rotors that don't get as hot as the stock rotors.

Stock brakes should last for anything between 50K and 60K kilometres, but if they overheat just once in that time, their life can be reduced by as much as 50% or more. However, competion-grade brake pads don't work well unless they are hot, and the hotter they are, the beter they work.

This does not make them suitable for normal city driving, so you must look for pads that are able to handle high temperatures better than stock pads, but that at the same time, don't require the very high temperatures competion pads need to work.

There are many upgrade kits available, but they are always expensive, so it depends on how much you are able to spend on higher quality pads and rotors. Rotors that are drilled work well because the holes, and the pattern of the holes prevent the pads from building up a glazed layer. This layer prevents the pads from working properly, which in turn, causes the rotors to overheat, which causes a hard, glazed layer to develop on the rotors, further reducing the effectiveness of the brakes. 

Remember though that drilled rotors do not work well with stock pads, because the formulation of stock pads is not compatible with the material used to make upgraded rotors. 

The manufacturers of upgraded rotors all recommend specific pads to be used with their rotors, so check with  rotor manufacturers on the right pads to get. With the correct combination of rotors and pads, the brakes should last for at least 40k kms, but to continue using stock parts, you will always have a problem with brakes that overheat.

I hope this helps, and please keep us posted as this may help other members as well.