•  
Advertise here

Toyota FJ Cruiser vs Nissan X Terra

Toyota FJC and Nissan X Terra, has been two capable off-road car launched by almost equally capable Japanese car manufacturer at almost same time in 2007-2008.

THEN HOW COME FJ Crusier has more demand and value than Nissan X Terra......?

FJC: 237 HP VS X Terra: 265 HP, why people still prefer FJC and pay more price for less powered car.....?

Why FJC is more expensive than X Terra when brand new?

• Like (+1) 5

Here are my reasons, seeing these two cars from a distance as I don't own them but know quiet a few ppl who owns them.

• FJ Cruiser is more good looking than X.
  • FJC has plenty of modification options than X
  • FJC has cheaper maintenance than X.
  • FJC has better performance in offroad than X.
  • Toyota have better resale than Nissan.
  • Like (+1) 1

Design is too much personal choice, and I don't like FJC design at all and I love X Terra manly and rugged feel. FJC look like RC Car to me.

Secondly X Terra has more hp and torque than FJ Cruiser.

• Like (+1) 1

Toyota's are over priced in my opinion, so if you want to save money with same performance and beter looks go with Xterra. They look strong and not flimsy and have better driving viewing angle than FJC peony window has so many blindspot and difficult shoulder view.

Xterra, all the way, any day.

• Like (+1) 1

On February 3, 2016 at 9:28 AM, sidhan said:

Here are my reasons, seeing these two cars from a distance as I don't own them but know quiet a few ppl who owns them.

• FJ Cruiser is more good looking than X.
  • FJC has plenty of modification options than X
  • FJC has cheaper maintenance than X.
  • FJC has better performance in offroad than X.
  • Toyota have better resale than Nissan.

Actually, wrong, yes, wrong, wrong, yes

I bought my X late 2014 after putting a down payment on an FJC.. After doing all the math & +\- over and over, I went and switched to Xterra, the price difference is huge & nothing justifies it!

Visually:

FJC is different, so it is personal choice visually..

mods:

mods wise, yes you can find a lot, but you can also modify the Xterra to any level if you are willing to custom do or ship.. Which usually true off-roaders do rather Han those ready made cheap replicas..

xterra doenst have much mods because it is eclipsed by its big brother the Y61 Patrol safari as the off-roader of choice locally.. Otherwise it could have had much more.. Locally..

Maintenance:

Nissan is far cheaper than Toyota in maintenance, the service prices were 60% cheaper when I compared Xterra to FJC 2 years ago when I bought my X, the service contract in Nissan included everything including brake pads, Toyota? Nothing! Just a laughable discount on parts & labor, & still was MORE expensive!

alfuttaim workshop is horrible, my FJC friends who has accidents spent more than 6 weeks on a relatively simple front end accident.. Two different cars, same crap!

nissan took less than two weeks fixing a similar accident in my case.

Offroad performance: (I am an offroad marshal)

Stock vs stock, Xterra have more power & tourque, & performs extremely well, but a skid plate is a must in the front. FJC is also great no doubt, but not better than X.

FJC visibility is extremely bad, you don't see anything while climbing or on the top or the crest, just horrible.

With modifications, the FJ can become a beast, but then you will find you paid the price of 3 Xterras to make one FJC a beast!

and, in offroad, the driver is 80% of the difference, the really good driver will win in either X or FJC...

resale value:

yes, Toyota is better 

• Like (+1) 6

Awesome word of wisdom from @ayman_khateeb, I totally agree with all his comments, I myself don't like FJC as someone said above they look like remote control cars to me, fit for my son but not manly enough for me. 

Secondly for off-road, lower the value of car lesser exposed to off-road threat and repairing.

Third, I have driven both briefly from my friend and X is def more powerful if you compare stock to stock option.

This is a very interesting thread, and all posters make valid points, but the truth is that in real-world off-road conditions like an overland trip through Africa or Australia, neither the FJC or the Xterra amount to much.

Artificial obstacle courses never test all the capabilities of any off-road vehicle, no matter how "tough" such a course may be. The only real test is an overland trip of at least 20 000 kms, and as experience in Africa and elsewhere has shown, neither the FJC, nor the Xterra has ever completed a continental crossing.

I have completed two crossings of Africa from north to south, and from south to north via different routes with a 2.5L turbo-diesel VW Amarok, and the only trouble I have ever had was flat tyres.

However, as ayman_khateeb correctly points out, the driver makes 80% of the difference, meaning that an inexperienced driver is as likely to break an Amarok as easily as anything else.

• Like (+1) 2

I like the FJC.. It looks good and is a capable offroader. Its design is specifically done to hail back to the original  old Land Cruisers that you see running around or displayed that the Toyota service center. 

However, there are problems with it. It is impossible to get the rear doors opened until you have opened the front ones. This presents a problem in tight parking sports. 

Secondly, its primarily driven by (as Clarkson on Top Gear would put it) Cocks. Getting one, means you risk yourself being branded as one. I don't think that I've ever seen a FJC on the road that wasn't tailgating someone; even on the slow lanes. 

In that way, the X-Terra probably the more practical choice. I don't believe that Nissan servicing costs are any higher than Toyota. Parts maybe slightly more expensive, but it works out to about the same. 

Having said all that, my choice in between the two would be the FJC. I know that I'll be branded an idiot the moment I leave the showroom, but I prefer the styling over the X-Terra and the impractical doors are only impractical if I need to use them a lot - which I don't. 

Edited by knightjp
  • Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, knightjp said:

Secondly, its primarily driven by (as Clarkson on Top Gear would put it) Cocks. Getting one, means you risk yourself being branded as one. I don't think that I've ever seen a FJC on the road that wasn't tailgating someone; even on the slow lanes. 

Totally agree with above point, as I have always seen FJC tailgating others on road and off-road, don't know what's wrong with FJ owners. I don't drive off road, but I have joined few friends in their club drives and seen that FJC are always on steroids.