•  
Advertise here

Hyundai Elantra 2010 Slipping Transmission Problem

Hamd

Hi guy, 

I am having an issue with my 2010 Hyundai Elantra. I am not sure about what that is, and why my car began acting like that. Well everything was quite ok before 7 days. 

It ran about 130000 only. 

Yesterday returning to home from office I observe that car jerking like it was not in the right gear. I tried to control by shifting gear enounously twice and three times but seem nothing happening. I parked it near petrol station for about 10 min and tried to do some examine like getting car in reverse but nothing happen, Subsequently I took a little run and figure out the same snazzy jerk again. Slowly I took it to local garage and got to know that transmission is began slipping again and again without verifying car throughout. He advise me to change it. I was amazed to the need of transmission change absolutely only after five years of smooth driving from office to home and home to office. 

I am not sure about it but seems like the transmission slipping has been common issue with this year of car design. The garage guy said that for this car exclusively 2010 to 2013 they are changing transmitting at least one per day. 

Now when I went to Cars dealer they said another tale that there was an internal failure in 3rd gear!!! Different tale for different day might be. 

This is silly that a transmitting would have to be changed this soon?
Is that a issue with this year/model car?
Please recommend me guy whether I should go with authorized dealer or Local garage??

• Like (+1) 3

Hi Hamd,

The garage guy was right when he said that Elantras have bad transmissions, but I seriously doubt that they are replacing at least one transmission per day.

There are three main problems with Elantra transmissions:

1.) Speed sensors inside the transmission often fail for no apparent reason. This is relatively easy and cheap to fix, but I suggest you take it to the dealer to have this done.

2.) You don't mention if the "ESC" warning light comes on when the car starts jerking. This is a common problem, and it happens because the stability control system is trying to limit the torque output.  The stabilty control system works with the transmission to limit torque to the driving wheels when it mistakenly "thinks" there is a dangerous situation that could cause you to lose control of the vehicle.

There are many reasons why the stability control system could fail, but the best thing to do is to have a comprehensive OBD II (diagnostic) check performed to eliminate (or confirm) the stability control system as the cause of the problem. Independent garages often do not have the software (or knowledge) to run a full diagnostic check, so rather take the car to a dealer for this. 

3.) Hyundai transmissions have the ability to "learn" the driving style of a driver. This is called "adaptive learning", and it often happens that the system gets confused, or loses some of its memory. It is posible to reset this feature, but only dealers should be trusted with this. There is is no single cause for the adaptive learning getting confused, but possible causes are known to be battery replacements, flat batteries, or sometimes voltage spikes in the electrical system that could have dozens of causes by itself.

Transmission fluid replacement do not usually fix the problem you are having, but my advice would be not to replace the transmission before you have had the points I listed checked out. All of them are cheaper than a replacement, and besides, you could have the same problem with the new transmission as well. 

I hope this helps, and please keep us posted on what you find, since it could help other members with the same problem.

Edited by taufiq
word replacement