•  
Advertise here

Why not engine overheating switches off the engine?

sidhan

I always get amazed with car manufacturer thinking that they have developed so many new technologies and still all car manufacturers are ignoring the engine overheating aspect.

I am yet to see a car that is designed with simple sensor logic to shut-off car engine by killing the fuel or air supply as soon as engine temperature rises by more than 10-15%. Are these all manufacturers not doing this intentionally so lot of amateur blows their engine and they make good business from spare parts and repair....? Shame on them.

I just heard from a poor guy in my office who blew his engine this morning, due to lack of coolant as car radiator was leaking and he did not noticed and hence his engine temperature hit the MAX red zone and then died. Now car is not starting at all.

• Like (+1) 8

Very interesting thought mate, I totally agree that this should have been implemented 10 years back before parking sensor showed up, they should have installed engine heat sensors in place.

There are many things manufacturers can do to make their cars last longer, but the sad truth is that they make on average 10 times the amount on parts and servicing  than the profit they make when they sell their cars to their dealers. So don't expect miracles to happen anytime soon.

You have temperature gauges, you need to keep an eye on that. Stupidity has no solutions. A simple scenario would be car over heats doing 100kph on SZR, ECU turns off engine, you lose power steering, brake hydrualics. Who will be held responsible for that? 

German and some American cars have coolant level sensors and they tend to go wrong all the time and that annoys us, hence everyone complains about how fragile high tech cars are. 

Edited by Rom1n

40 minutes ago, Rom1n said:

You have temperature gauges, you need to keep an eye on that. Stupidity has no solutions. A simple scenario would be car over heats doing 100kph on SZR, ECU turns off engine, you lose power steering, brake hydrualics. Who will be held responsible for that? 

German and some American cars have coolant level sensors and they tend to go wrong all the time and that annoys us, hence everyone complains about how fragile high tech cars are. 

I understand your concern, but I am sure car manufacturer can come up with some smart ways to incorporate that by making too noisey and loud beeps, flash light, warning on dash and then timer to kick in for 15-30 seconds before shutting off the engine.

That stupid gauge is so minuscule that many drivers will notice after the damage is done and engine head is fried.With today's tech when car manufacturer aiming for autonomous car intelligence then I am sure this is peanut for that level of science to auto shut-off engine with slight rise in temperature.

I got hit by this once and one of my very close friend who got hit while he left car unattended in meena bazar double parking in June and one of the radiator pipe got burst and engine fried, it costed him over 20,000 dirhams to fix.

Recently two days back (when I made this thread), my office colleague got the similar hit.

Agree with Rom1n, driver should notice for all warning indicators shows on their car dashboard. If car manufacturer put auto shut-off engine when engine temperature reach certain level, they need to think thousand scenarios before they can implement it properly. After we saw first indicator for abnormal heat engine, we should take care immediately. If coolant sensor tend to go wrong, we should complain to car dealer immediately too.

BTW, why driver not looking under the hood, to engine compartment, in routine basis? Like once a week or twice a weak? At least, before something wrong happens, they can take necessary action. It can save them a lot. Especially in Middle East area that have high temperature in afternoon time in summer season. We should take care about engine heat issue more more than other aspects. Just my sharing.

Well, usually you do need to keep the engine running to cool it down, that is in case it overheated under load.. if it overheats because of burst coolant pipe, radiator, or oil leak/oil pump failure, then yes turn it off asap.

The engine kill and shutoff scenario is unacceptable by all means! it should never happen as it will create much more danger than anything else! I prefer to have a dead engine than getting struck by other cars, or rolling over in the dunes because a computer turned off my engine.. I should turn it off myself when I deem the conditions are safe or necessary to do so...

I suffered from fried head-gaskets with old cars driving in the desert :P .. and I would LOVE to have a loud buzzer alarm going off when the engine temp is approaching red-zone.

my solution was to get OBD-II style readers that are hooked up to the car all the time, with configurable warning levels... 

Now, if you are not much into mechanical stuff and don't want to keep an eye on your car.. then buy new ones and avoid old cars, they need a lot of attention to catch problems early.. and they all do fail sooner or later...

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting thread and thought to make cars over intelligent, but do guys know that every time car overheat then car AC gets cut off automatically and that should make the intelligent driver look around the dash gauge to save the engine.

I agree with @ayman_khateeb to have a loud buzzer in case the driver is so dumb and ignorant or driving without AC, then this loud audible buzzer can alert him.