•  
Advertise here

How to switch off traction control completely?

One of my friend drive newer Pajero, I think 2014 or 2015 model and last week while off-roading he was complaining too much about weird noise when he try to do the side-sloping. Wondering if there is any quick fix for this issue Mitsubishi has provided to turn on/off traction control from within the vehicle? Or only disable by removing the fuse, then please tell me which fuse is responsible for this disabling the traction control completely? Thanks in advance.

• Like (+1) 7

The "weird noise" is only the traction control trying to save your friend from himself.

Side-sloping is one of the most dangerous things an inexperienced offroad driver can do, and without traction control to keep the vehicle in line, he is very likely to cause serious damage to himself and his vehicle in the very near future.

If you really wanted to help your friend, ask him not to deliberately drive on side slopes.

Edited by wildcat
word insertion
  • Like (+1) 1

It is not only coming in side-slope but while struggling in sand to gain momentum also traction kicks and stops the wheelspin and kill the vehicle speed to climb up the dune.

I drove his car myself and felt something not normal for dune bashing, where to enter the dune with more speed and balance it out while climbing. Although it doesn't die in climbing, but hesitate a lot to the wheelspin while initial momentum is build.

• Like (+1) 1

Hi Husain

He just need to push that switch (usually VSC no logo on the driver left hand reach near fuel cap release switch)  and check the indicator light on the dashboard

I drove it before but it did not have a diff-lock switch it just have a short shift knob beside the gear knob for 2WD, 4WD-Hi & 4WD-Low(with diff-Lock)

enjoy gliding and drive safely!

index.jpg

Edited by Saleem
additional details
  • Like (+1) 3

Hi,

the switch is under the steering to the right, I have a 2009 3.8 Pajero for the wife and it has all these bells and whistles, I took it offroad in advanced drives (big Side Slopes and side crests) a few times and I LOVE the traction control, just make sure the switch is pressed and ASCS OFF is illuminated on the dashboard, that's when the stability control is off, and the "Offroad" traction control is working...

the traction control should not kick-in while side sloping, unless you are going too slow and digging, which is dangerous in all cases and the traction is actually trying to help you avoiding a side stuck, if it kicks-in while you are going with speed this means that the switch is not pressed and "on-road" traction (Stability Control) is effective, which will kill engine power and brake tires unnecessarily risking getting stuck or rolling over.

when the switch is pressed and all is good, this traction can work very good when you are about to get stuck and brakes the tires which lost traction (significant wheelspin while the other tire is almost stopped), and I never felt it was annoying, it doesn't kick-in when the car is going with good speed and momentum... and there is no engine cut-off at all...

I prefer the Xterra power offroad, so the Pajero is a family adventure car for me, and a good backup offroader as well.

• Like (+1) 7

• 3 weeks later...

Traction of pajero is actually a issue.

The other day i was stuck and i switched the 4WD in 4LLC (Low range). It was showing that traction is off on the dashboard, but while doing a self recovery the traction was still kicking-in and not allowing my tires to move :( .

Can someone share a picture of the switch which i can remove in the pajero, it was 2013-14 model.

7 minutes ago, Jayesh.delani said:

Traction of pajero is actually a issue.

The other day i was stuck and i switched the 4WD in 4LLC (Low range). It was showing that traction is off on the dashboard, but while doing a self recovery the traction was still kicking-in and not allowing my tires to move :( .

Can someone share a picture of the switch which i can remove in the pajero, it was 2013-14 model.

This actually means it is working perfectly fine, & trying to help, but you are looking at a deep stuck tire!

If you look at the other tire it will be spinning aimlessly.. The traction control is trying to stop that other tire, but if the first one is deep stuck & under full weight of the truck, no traction control will help, it might move slightly but won't get you out of trouble.. Either case, flooring it will make things worse with or without traction control..

You need full differential lockers, which in the 3.8 comes in the rear diff only.. And in my 2009 it also switches the traction off completely (so no elsd in the front).

anyways.. Bottom line, in your case, switching the traction completely off by removing the fuse/relay will not help either.. You need a recovery (snatch) by another truck my friend...

• Like (+1) 2