•  
Advertise here

Audi Automatic Transmission

First universal usual suspect for any gear issue is the gear oil and filter. Do you have record of when it was changed last? Check if it's due anytime soon. 

If you don't have record then get it change with original gear oil and gear oil filter at the earliest to save your transmission. The very first sign of stale gear oil is the 1st to 2nd and vice versa rough shifting and/or extra jerking while shifting.

• Like (+1) 1

@victor is right, but dirty oil almost always affects all gear shifts. It is unusual for only first and second gears to be affected, and especially in stop and go traffic.

In this case, it is more likely that there is some miscommunication between the engine and transmission, so I would suggest you have the transmission's electronic control module checked out. This type of issue usually happens when the transmission acts on wrong signals, such as an incorrect signal from a speed sensor.

So, assuming that the transmission "thinks" the car is travellling at 60 km/ph when it is in fact only travelling at 25 km/ph, shifts will be rough. The problem is that this type of issue will not always trigger a warning light, but if the transmission shifts correctly through the entire range at higher speed, the hard shifting issue between first and second gears is almost certainly caused by defective speed sensors.

The best thing to do in this case is to have a full diagnostic check done on the interface between the engine and transmission to see if there are any fault codes stored. A fluid change at this point is unlikely to resolve the problem if only first and second gears are affected in slow traffic.  

• Like (+1) 1

I refuse to believe that dirty oil will impact all gear shift, as when oil is just starting to get dirty shifts are rough but noticeable more on small speed evidently as slow gear shift is more precision based and reflect any small defect loudly as oppose to higher speed shift will only be visible after few thousand kms.

I experience this same in one of my car and I ignore 1st to 2nd thud and after 2 months paid a huge bill for rebuilding the transmission when 2nd to 3rd thud also started showing.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Had the transmission oil checked last month just to be sure that it wasn't the culprit ( I do change it every 40T km in my other car.) and it was fine as per the mechanic. I was even told that these type of transmissions do not require oil change, tho' I don't really buy it.

Right after I posted the Subject, I went on to scour the internet hoping to find similar problem, it seems that this is a 'common' problem (or was it in GCC?) for Audi's as I've seen a few topics from other American and European Audi forums. They mentioned that updating the Transmission software is a common fix. Hanif maybe right about the sensors or control modules.....

Now, just a follow up question, how do you guys update the transmission software? Do you guys know any reputable VAG garage that can carry out the job?

Edited by buchukoy
  • Like (+1) 1