•  
Advertise here

How to verify if car odometer is tampered?

iRock

I am in the market to buy a car and seen few cars of different brand and age as per my assigned budget, but I am highly curious to know how do I actually find out if car odomoter has been tampered or not?

Some car look really beaten twice for the odometer kms and there is no way I can challenge the owner. I know some people use it rough than others, but difference is huge and noticeable that leave me no option but just to quietly walk away from those rotten deals.

Look for ENOC / EPPCO / ADNOC oil service sticker on door sill that tells the real kms before it was reversed. I have catch many cars with this fuck up.

Faded headlights, wiper holder lost the color or chipped small paint from engine hood is a good indication that happen after 100K + kms. Not in all cases, but in most cases, so use this indicator with a pinch of salt with other mentioned above.

As said, signs of wear and tear generally point to high miles. Worn pedal rubbers, gearstick, steering wheel, drivers seat bolster.

On a car with old style analogue odometer, make sure the numbers are all in a straight line, if one or more are slightly out of line, there is a chance it has been tampered with. Also check the screws on the dashboard above the steering wheel for marks caused by screwdrivers/torx or other tools. Also a good sign that someone has been in there tampering.

On cars with digital odometer it's a bit more difficult to tell for sure without plugging it into a computer. Some cars log the correct mileage in the ECU whilst the display can show something completely different but the ECU will always have the correct miles. It's so easy to change the mileage on digital odometers too, all you need is a laptop, a lead and a piece of torrented software and you can change the mileage on many cars in a few minutes.

On a side note, I once worked on a car in the UK and had to remove the dash clocks to fit a bulb and found a note stuck to the back saying 'Third time clocked LOL'. Some people have no shame.

• Like (+1) 1

'Third time clocked LOL' Damn shamelesssssss.

These people should go behind bars in attempt to play with people safety and life. Imagine a guy buying a car thinking 60,000 kms driven car and embark on a long drive and car clocked 360,000 kms break in mid way with the family and kids.......!

This actually happened with my friend's friend, when he was new in country and didn't expect these type of crooks exists.