•  
Advertise here

My Pajero AC stops working after 120 km/h??

Hi All,

I am stuck with a very strange problem. I have a 2008 3.6 V6 Pajero and AC works good on lower speeds but once I cross the 120 limit the compressor stops and doesn't kick again. I have got the Gas changed twice in one week, got the filters and grills cleaned but to no use. Help me out please if u have any idea regarding this issue. oh and btw I have noticed that temperature gauge raises in 4 wheel mood, not very much though but its higher then the center or can say in the middle of center and the red zone. Thanks

Edited by Luqman

AC will be switched off on slightest overheating in almost any car. So as a first point of concern as summer months are coming and we started hitting 37-38 degrees already, this seems a usual behavior to kick in if Engine cooling is not optimum.

Get the radiator coolant check, if its too old and rusty replace to new one. Dont use water as it increase the rusting chances, use proper green or better red coolant.

Ask mechanic to check the viscose clutch fan is working or not, as when car slightly overheat this main radiator big fan (viscose fan) supposed to run faster to bring the car temperature down. I assume here when car hit above 120, load on engine is more and that in turn produce more heat due to weak engine cooling system and to reduce engine load car computer shuts off the AC rather than car getting overheat.

• Like (+1) 5

Hi Luqman,

@ethan is right, and  Pajeros can, and do overheat very easily. Along with the viscous fan, I would also have the thermostat replaced, but only with an OEM part. You may also want to fit a thermostat that opens a little sooner than the standard unit- just ask the salesman at the dealer to check the opening and closing temperatures of the thermostats that fit your model, and take the one that opens at the lowest temperature.

What ever you do though, NEVER fit a non-OEM thermostat on a Pajero.  

• Like (+1) 1

For Pajero thermostat, go with GCC specs thermostat as it set to open at around 68-71 degrees and same has been engraved on the thermostat metal outer body. One that says above 78 - 82 is not GCC specs.

These few degrees difference will make a big difference in keeping Pajero tad hotter in slow non-moving traffic in extreme summers or at high speed above 120 in day time.

Is your Pajero AC cuts off after 120 in night temperature as well....?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Gaurav, thanks for the valuable info dear.. i will keep that in mind. I havent tried driving it in at night though ... but once i get the rad flushed and fuild changed i will try it before going for the thermostat change....

You can actually try driving at night, before rad flush and coolant change just to be sure that the engine cooling system is the culprit. As in night currently it's under 30 degrees in Dubai and engine will get more cooled air in night to keep it cool at high speed above 120.

If AC still trips off after 120 in night, then there could be something else involve than the engine cooling issue. May be AC fan, compressor or condenser needs some thorough professional check.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Pajero is very famous here in UAE for overheating on slightest hot weather. Not sure, but one mechanic told me that you are better off in removing the thermostat completely here in UAE, as temperature never go below freezing point. Same guy was so affirmative that he was ready to take guarantee if again my car overheat, so must be some solid reasoning behind his tall claim.

Google this point also and see if it helps....?