•  
Advertise here

My Pajero AC stops working after 120 km/h??

Running without a thermostat will help the engine to run cooler initially but it's not something I would recommend as a long term solution. It's a last resort technique used when the thermostat fails and you need to keep the car running while you're waiting for one to be ordered in or you're having another overheating problem which you're waiting to get sorted.

Without a thermostat, it will take the engine longer to warm up which means you're using more fuel, a bit like driving round all the time with the choke on (if you're old enough to remember chokes). Because you're using more fuel, it can cause the spark plugs to foul up which will affect running. The oil will take longer to reach operating temperature which means it's not doing it's job properly and may cause premature engine wear, bearing failure, piston ring failure etc. 

If you have an overheating problem, the only real solution is to find the root cause and fix it. Removing the thermostat is just burying your head in the sand.

• Like (+1) 2

On 04/05/2016 at 11:13 AM, Derick said:

Pajero is very famous here in UAE for overheating on slightest hot weather. Not sure, but one mechanic told me that you are better off in removing the thermostat completely here in UAE, as temperature never go below freezing point. Same guy was so affirmative that he was ready to take guarantee if again my car overheat, so must be some solid reasoning behind his tall claim.

Google this point also and see if it helps....?

Even if it is going below freezing point the proper coolant has anti freeze of minus 20. His argument seems opposite. 

@Ak, the prolem is not so much overheating if the thermostat is removed, as it is about the fact that without a thermostat, the engine does not get hot enough. @Tecnician explained what happens when a thermostat is removed in a thread in this post. Your engine may not overheat anymore, but you could destroy it because of increased mechanical wear. 

Edited by treks
word replacement

• 3 months later...
On 5/2/2016 at 10:07 AM, Luqman said:

Hi All,

I am stuck with a very strange problem. I have a 2008 3.6 V6 Pajero and AC works good on lower speeds but once I cross the 120 limit the compressor stops and doesn't kick again. I have got the Gas changed twice in one week, got the filters and grills cleaned but to no use. Help me out please if u have any idea regarding this issue. oh and btw I have noticed that temperature gauge raises in 4 wheel mood, not very much though but its higher then the center or can say in the middle of center and the red zone. Thanks

The Name of of Garage is AlAbayad Al Malaki Mr.Assad 050-5695255 he fixed my A/C and my car is now chiller Unit even on low temp its freezing when outside temp shows 48 degree and not expensive at all i was charged 700dhs 

@DiamondDallas it's good that you posted the price but what actual work was carried out for that price, what parts were changed etc. so people can gauge actual value for money. Obviously it was more than just a simple system regas. 

2 hours ago, Barry said:

@DiamondDallas it's good that you posted the price but what actual work was carried out for that price, what parts were changed etc. so people can gauge actual value for money. Obviously it was more than just a simple system regas. 

@Barry What used to happen is When I used to drive the A/C used to be fine but when in traffic or idle it use to throw fire so i had this things replaced and serviced.

1. Major thing A/C compressor (surplus) cos mine was to week to work

2. Valve

3. A/C Gas

4.Cleaning and Service of A/C system thats about it.

Everything was inculded the in price i said 700dhs 

Now its Cooling even on Low. i was quoted by other garages for 1500, 1900, 2200 

That's a very good price, I am sure it's a scrap AC compressor pricing. Isn't? More important I'm curious to know who have done the scouting for the compressor as that is more time consuming than repairing time?

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.