•  
Advertise here

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum (and the UAE), and I really hope someone here can help me with a problem I have with my 2008 Mazda CX7.

I bought the car when I arrived here eight months ago, and since it had less than 100 000 kms on it, I thought I was buying a real bargain. However, about two weeks ago the check engine light came on, and almost immediately after that I started hearing a rattling noise from the engine every time a start it, and especially when the engine is cold.

I have had several mechanics look at it, but the best answer I got so far is that “these models tend to be noisy at times.” One mechanic managed to reset the warning light but it came back on the next time I started it, and now the rattling noise has gotten worse. I must also mention that there are no stored trouble codes.

Does anyone here know what the problem could be? I would have thought that any knowledgeable mechanic would have been able to tell me what’s wrong with my car, but none seem to know what the problem is, except telling me that I need to change the oil more regularly. I changed the oil when I bought the car and I have only done 4 700 km since then, so I doubt that the oil is the problem, since the engine is not using oil.  

Any help and/or advice would be appreciated.  

If the check engine light is on, then there should be 1000000000% stored fault code.

Go to good capable mechanic who can scan Mazda and not roadside monkeys who can only clear the codes. Check engine light is always get lit in serious cases and you should not be driving the car with check engine light on. Get it fixed or show to Galadari, Mazda authorized dealer here and let those guys diagnose it properly for you.

Check engine light can come up when fuel cap is not properly close or air filter box is not properly close or any of spark plug wire is loose (not fully inserted). Check all the basics before jumping on expensive repairs, my two cents.

Hi Ghalib,

Sandeep is right, if the engine warning light is on, there must be a fault code stored, and in your case, it could be any code between P0012 and P0025. These codes are related to valve timing, and there must be at least one of them present for the warning light to be on.

Mazda CX models from 2008 (to about 2010 in some markets) are known for a problem with the timing chains that stretch due to a manufacturing defect. This problem causes issues with the valve timing, with the most common problem being valve timing that is over retarded, meaning that the position of the camshaft does not agree with the position of the crankshaft. It also causes the rattling noise you describe, because the chain is not being tensioned properly.  

This issue on Mazda CX engines is a serious one, and if you don’t get it fixed, the timing chain can break and destroy the engine. I would suggest you take the car to the dealer to have the problem checked out and repaired before the timing chain breaks. However, this is not a cheap repair, but it has to done if you don’t want to lose the engine.

As per my brief experience with Mazda in past, Galadari is not very easy in honoring warranty if car under warranty, so I am not sure if this known defect as treks suspecting will be covered by dealer or not as your car is already 8 years old and out of warranty.

However it's worth checking with previous owner or galadari if they have carried this repair in past or not?

Hi

you have a timing adjustment problem!

you need to remove valve cover and timing cover and check timing and chain glider and gliders pistons and cam gears and make sure to go for a professional and to use Mazda timing special tool and to use original part number oil filter (comes with check valve to keep timing titty even with engine not running for days) and replace spark plugs and oil with specified grade for Mazda turbo charged engines.

avoid driving the car as much as you can till you repair it or you may brake that engine!

Good Luck

It could be the basic reason but now it became a permanent sound so 80% timing need adjustment and checking timing components may lead to replace tenssioner pistons or glider and some times it's crank bully tutting up as it have a flouting gear. 

Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone that took the time to comment!

However, it seems that @treks was right. I took the car to the dealer who confirmed that the issue is indeed due to a manufacturing defect that causes the timing chain to stretch. Even though my car is out of warranty, they have agreed to fix the problem at a reduced price.

I am hoping that the repair will fix the problem permanently, but I will keep everyone posted on what the repair entailed. 

• Like (+1) 1