•  
Advertise here

Grand Cherokee- ABS brakes don't work off road?

Hi guys,

I must admit that I am not a fan of off road driving, but this past weekend I went along with a friend who wanted to see how his (almost) new Jeep Grand Cherokee performed off road. I must also say that I was not impressed, since it seems that on loose sand that brakes don’t work.

According to my friend, the ABS brakes on his Jeep work fine, but if they do, why does it take almost twice as long to stop on sand that it does on a solid surface?  To my mind, it seems likely that one can drive off a cliff before the ABS brakes can stop a vehicle on loose surfaces, which makes off road driving an unattractive option, since it can be dangerous. At least, that is how it looks to me.

Can the off road experts here perhaps explain to me why the brakes didn’t seem to work on a loose surface, since I was under the impression that the function of ABS is to decrease stopping distances?

Haroon, ABS work great on tarmac situation where it can prevent skidding by not completely locking the wheels. This lock/open in split seconds help vehicle to brake fast in a straight line than skidding. In off-road your friend need to find a way to switch off traction completely that will switch off ABS and with sightliest touch of brake, vehicle will just dig in and stop. And also while traction control is off you can spin the wheels nicely in sand while attacking the dunes. In many off-road rides these days there is a switch for on/off for traction control having icon of TC in a gear wheel. Read the manual and I am sure you will find it there, as after all its Jeep that is meant for off-roading and not only city cruise.