•  
Advertise here

Why I drive fast?

anonymous

As a person I'm very nice, soft spoken and very calm, but when I sit behind the wheel my personality changes to be a racer and I always drive fast as if I am getting late for business meeting, whereas I am just going home after day long work. I just can't drive slow at all and I always push car to max road limit within the grace kms allowed. 

Few of my friends and family pointed me and ask me this question: Why I drive fast? To be honest, I have no answer for this sudden personality change and I am curious to hear from you guys if any of you is suffering from same or gone thru this in the past? Please help and explain.

Hi anonomous,

This is a very interesting question, and while I don't have all the answers, I can tell you what I have learnt from the marketing guys at the BMW factory in South Africa.

Some years ago I was sent there to attend a specialized training course on automotive electronics, and while I was there I also attended a marketing course to see what I could learn. It turns out that high end cars are designed more to appeal to certain personality types than merely to look like they do. The shape, trim, performance, color, and even the exhaust note are all mixed together to bring about exactly the change in a driver that you speak of.

This may sound ridiculous, but it is true nevertheless. I don't know what car you are driving, but it is almost guaranteed that you will not experience this change in yourself if you were to downgrade to a more common car, like say, a Ford Focus or other entry level vehicle. This is based on research done by the shrinks in the marketing team in SA, and what is more, this research is borne out by the fcat that in SA, BMW's are the cars that are repossessed the most.

From this research it turns out that:

1.) Most people who buy BMW's in SA feel that they have something to prove. Most people who buy them feel that their image is more important than what they can afford, thus, many BMW's get reposessed when their owners' middle-management salaries can't cover the cost of running a BMW.

2.) On the other hand, people who buy Audi's  and Mercedes-Benz models hardly ever get their cars repossessed, because they are in senior management positions, or are successful in business, and can therefore afford their cars. Moreover, the understated elegance of Audi and MB cars appeal to certain personality types in exactly the same way that flashy, shiny BMW models appeal to other personality types.

The conclusion of this research is that people who can afford their cars don't have to prove anything to the world at large. In short, these people are comfortable with their position in life, and as a result, they are safer, more considerate, and "professional" when they go on the roads.

You can test these conclusions for yourself. Just take some time to compare the behaviour of the drivers of different brands of luxury vehicles. See which cars have drivers that take chances, drive recklessly, or don't always consider other road users. Chances are that many, if not most, of these drivers will be in the same brand of car that you are in.

I can only speak for German cars, but there is no reason to believe that similar factors do not influence some people to buy American muscle cars, while others will go for more sedate Japanese or European luxury vehicles. In the world of car design and marketing it seems that personality types, and what they like or don't like is the primary driver, which is why some brands retain their most distinctive feaures over decades, to appeal to upcoming car buyers in the same way that their parents were influenced. 

Thanks Guys, but I don't drive BMW.

And I do drive the dinky cars like Tiida, Yaris, Focus with same behavior as if I am on race track and racing someone to finish line.

FYI, my life is doing good and I don't want to prove anything to anyone it's just that I can't drive slower than road limit. Why, I don't know.

Well if you are not driving lower than road limit then you are absolutely normal person and I dont think you have an issue. People asking you this question must be slowpokes in driving slower than half of road limit. These both parties are absolutely normal.

I hope you are not driving reckless all the time to race on roads then that's a bit aggressive behavior but still better than slowpokes driving in fast lane and blocking fast moving traffic: psychopath and mentally sick driver.

Have you tried driving without music and see if it helps drive at ease and not racing? I am doubting may be the choice of music you play is hard metal or upbeat party song that excites your sub-consciousness and push you to drive fast.