•  
Advertise here

Emirates is Changing With Driverlesss Cars

90% of car accidents has happened from the driver errors. Machine are more reliable rather than a human being. Now Emirate is introducing the driverless cars to reduce the car accidents. A driverless car sensor can detect the road, vehicles barrier, perform job according to the traffic rules and take distance to the nearby vehicles said Glenn Havinoviski, a US transport expert. The driverless car is more reliable for the road safety but the concept is still under moderation. Is this is a good step or not ?

Source News: http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/driverless-cars-will-reduce-crashes-in-uae-experts-say

• Like (+1) 1

There are plenty of documented accidents involving autonomous cars, the latest fatal Tesla crash being one of the most famous,

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/30/12072408/tesla-autopilot-car-crash-death-autonomous-model-s

I would never trust a computer to drive a car for me. The computerised Dubai train system is a fantastic thing but it's on rails, it has nothing to crash into. The open road is a whole other story. There are just too many variables and unknowns. The Tesla didn't see a 40 foot truck? What else is it not going to see? What happens if the road becomes covered in sand and the car can't see it anymore? What if the white line is obscured? What if there is a break in the roadside barrier?

Check this out, an autonomous car almost swerving into another car which is only saved by the drivers quick reactions,

There are plenty of other videos showing near misses which were only avoided by the driver taking action.

One question I would like to raise is, how many of these people promoting autonomous vehicles would be prepared to give up their own vehicles and travel exclusively autonomously for the rest of their life? I don't think there would be very many.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Technician said:

One question I would like to raise is, how many of these people promoting autonomous vehicles would be prepared to give up their own vehicles and travel exclusively autonomously for the rest of their life? I don't think there would be very many.

+ 1 Million. This is pure marketing.

• Like (+1) 2

Self-driving cars may be the way of the future, but as @Technician says, that future is a very long way off. There are just to many things that can still go wrong to make driverless cars a viable transport option in the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 2

I totally agree with both @Technician and @treks , this technology is still in its evolutionary stage and cannot be trusted at all. The real problem is when companies draft marketing messages that are suggestive of a perfect and fully developed system. @Danny rightly called it a marketing gimmick and that what it is right now ... a "Gimmik". Period.

• Like (+1) 2

This refers to another problem with autonomous vehicles,

Australia plans new co-ordinates to fix sat-nav gap
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36912700

Countries, entire continents are constantly moving due to the tectonic plates of the earth constantly shifting. Australia for example as show. In the above link, moves 7cm per year. If some of these cars are relying on GPS to navigate, 7 cm can be a hell of a lot when it comes to road positioning. 7cm can be the difference in passing safely or clipping a wing mirror  or worse, a corner to corner head on crash. 7cm can be the difference between driving on the road or putting a wheel off the road into the sand and causing a high speed rollover. Bear in mind that this 7cm shift is every year. After 2 years it is 14cm, after 3 years it is 21cm etc etc. The Australians are compensating for this by overcompensating which means that the GPS position on the road will not be correct until 2020 whilst they wait and hope for technology to catch up which means the GPS system will never be accurate. In my eyes, this is nowhere near good enough. Do I want to be a passenger in an autonomous vehicle which thinks it's 21 cm away from where it actually thinks it is? Hell no. 

• Like (+1) 3