•  
Advertise here

chevrolet lumina s vibartion

hello everyone, i could really use the help of someone with the following thing. my 2008 chevy lumina s v6 vibrates quite loudly when placed in reverse and it also vibrates when in neutral at the signal light. i was told that it might be the gear box mounts that are worn out and not supporting the gear box itself properly along with the engine mounts being worn out as well. has anyone encountered this issue before and if yes can you give me some advice on what can be done and how much it will cost?

I was going to suggest checking the engine and gearbox mounts. The only solution to the problem is to change them. Labour wise, it's not a massive job. It just involves putting a jack under the engine/gearbox, unbolting the old ones and bolting the new ones in. The price of the parts may be a different story. Phone around and get quotes.

Me too, same gues it's a mount and nothing else and if you wait longer the front gear shifting will also jerk shortly. Better to change them asap.

I agree that the mountings might be the problem but there are other possibilities.

Normally when mountings are worn or broken, you would get a "thumping", or "thudding" sound under hard acceleration. Does this happen at all?

Also, has the shifting changed at all? For instance, is the shifting now hard, harsh, or different in any way than it was before? Does the vibration go away when you shift into Drive? If the mountings were shot, you would get this vibration all the time when you hold the car with the brakes while it is in gear, and not only in Neutral or Reverse.

It is entirely possible that the gearbox is not fully disengaging when it is in neutral, or that when it is reverse, some of the pressure in the valve body is diverted into another circuit, which places the gearbox partially into reverse, and one forward gear at the same time. 

If this were my car, I would get the gearbox checked out, or at least have the fluid checked/replaced before I would change the mountings.

Anyway, please let us know what you find.

thank you for the replies. the car does feel somewhat weird when changing gears. i've driven a few cars before and the only time i felt gears pick up or being changed this way was in a manual gearbox car. when accelerating you can feel the upshifts quite a lot and i do agree with your point that the gearbox may not be fully disengaging, another thing that seemed very weird just two days ago, when i decided to go for a cruise with it, the minute i started it up and took the first corner in the car park, the car was vibrating as if it was in reverse which lends me to believe that the problem is not just with the reverse gears, from the looks of it, it looks more and more like a gear box rebuild may be required. however what is the most interesting thing is that the car does not vibrate as much after being driven for a while. I havent had the time to take it to a mechanic but the moment i do i will inform you all of what i find just in case someone else has the same issue. 

thank you for your support 

It is common for this of problem to get better when the gearbox heats up a bit, because the heat helps to release moving parts in the valve body. Please let us know what you find when you have the gearbox checked out. 

Before going for rebuild, I strongly suggest to change the gear oil and gear oil filter with OEM spec oil and filter. When I changed the gear oil once I realize how big difference it make in car shifting and how important gear oil change is. It's worth every penny.

thanks for the advice. i have just double checked with the mechanic that has been working on the car for a while now and it turns out that the oil for the gearbox along with its filter have been changed just about a month ago thus making it new. i know the previous owner quite well and i was told that the vibration in drive and neutral was not there before until a break job was performed which consisted of new break pads. however i will admit that the breaks do not provide much confidence however that does not explain the vibration in the gear box. in some automatics the break does function as a clutch to an extent but does not seem to be the case here. so to sum up the above the gearbox oil and filter have been changed with oem spec ones as per the receipts so if anyone might know what is actually wrong with my Chevy please let me know because it would be a shame to see this car go due to mechanical issues.

Is the previous owner absolutely sure that the fluid was replaced with fluid of the correct grade and formulation? It might be worth your time to check the invoice to see if the fluid you have in the gearbox now is the same as the fluid that it should have. 

If the trouble started after the fluid and filter change, there three other possibilities-

1) The gearbox has too much or too little fluid

2) The mechanic could have accidentally dislodged some wiring from the shift solenoids when he replaced the filter. However, if this is the case, there should be stored trouble codes. Have you had this checked?

3) Some dirt and sludge could have been dislodged during the filter change- dirt that is now blocking passages in the valve body, or is interfering with the movement of valve shuttles. This happens more often than you might think,so you may want to have the valve body checked and cleaned out. If this is the case, there should be stored trouble codes as well, so have this checked out.

All things considered, the problem seems to have been caused by the fluid and filter change, so focus on everything that could have gone wrong during the process.