•  
Advertise here

How is 2008 Land Rover LR3 for Sand desert driving?

I need some opinion here on how is Land Rover LR3 - V8 - 2008-2009 model (end of LR3) for Sand driving in Dubai and Sharjah Sand desert? I am not a dune basher, but a dune cruiser and like to buy this so sometime I can enjoy a peaceful drive without getting stuck. 

4.4 liter V8 Jaguar AJ engine producing 300 hp (224 kW) @ 5500 rpm, 315 lb·ft (427 N·m) @ 4000 rpm must be awesome for desert with a 2.4 ton weight?

Edited by robert

For mud or gravel or wet roads it's ok (very nice ride)

But for sand for long time driving the transfer case (the same one in BMW X5) will over heat and the belt stretch and require replacing the transfer case and some times the actuator motor (including the controller) and requires alignment (adaptation)

and air suspension is costly to repair and if it fail on the sand you need a truck to pull you out!

• Like (+1) 1

Probably one of the worst vehicles you could buy. AJ engine is made from chocolate, BMW transfer box is made from chocolate, suspension failure in the sand is an issue as mentioned above. If the suspension fails, the vehicle will sit on the ground like it's straight out of the fast and the furious. Random electrical sensors fail so the vehicle thinks the bonnet or doors are open so you can't lock the vehicle with the remote. Electric handbrake fails and is an expensive repair. They do have one good point, you get to play warning light bingo every day. 

Im my opinion, if you want reliability, buy a land cruiser. 

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks Saleem, can you please specify what you mean by saying long term driving means regularly driving for 4-8 hours at one stretch or regular weekly desert driving?

Thanks Barry, for having a good suggestion and cons highlighted for the selection but I am evaluating cars on hp+torque over the weight to get most capable ride for desert. Unfortunately I can't get these numbers in any japanese 4x4, btw which 4x4 other than land cruiser you suggest? IMHO land cruiser has a desert safari impression.

Watch these please guys and you might reconsider your suggestions and opinions.

Please be honest, I again fell in love with it after seeing these videos.

Land Rover LR3 Kicking Japanese (land cruiser prado) and American (jeep wrangler) best 4x4 in market.

Really rugged with articulated body and chassis.

AWESOME  4x4 response in such a dirty spot, haven't seen any Jap's even inch closer to this response.

Hi Robert

driving on sand (one level road +/- 2 meter up and down) will not over heat the transfer case (reasonable driving old people driving average speed of 60 to 80 km/h) for for 3 hours in winter, but summer time 1 hour is more than transfer case can handle

when it over heat the actuator motor jams and the steel chain belt stretch and you start to receive audio and light warnings and it would effect other working systems like engine and transmission as it may not responds to accelerator pedal and ABS as wheels are not rotating by power train as planed (designed calculation) and finally suspension as a part of dynamic traction control related and connected to ABS & power train......So you may start to feel like crashing Boeing 747 and you wonder what I did to face all that kind of troubles (You did not do any thing bad or over specs!!) it's just was not designed for this weather!

as I mentioned before for daily paved roads it's nice ride and Jaguar engine if you take care of it with good service and reasonable use and you need to push it to limits from time to time (every 2 months once) to avoid carbon slugs inside other than that spare parts are the same for Rang Rover sport for both engine and suspension except for drive belt as sport mostly super charged while LR3 is rarely available with super charger and I like the shape more than standard range rover and sport and I like the 3 line seat availability and the roof windows!

to have a closer look check these image for the transfer case:

transfercase.png

• Like (+1) 1

Many thanks Saleem, once again to hold me from my temptation. Can you please suggest which 4x4 is good for sand desert driving in hot climate and winter?

I am curious has LR designed such sensitive transfer case for GCC specs even? Shame on them.

For EAS, you can pull everything apart and get stiffer springs less than 2000 dirham. I am not sure about the transfer case price from scrap and how often you might need to replace depending on your drive style.

Hi Robert

would you share with us your requirements?

how many door & seat you need?

is the brand or the luxury a major issue for you?

do you plan any modification for off road use?

and about engine ... dose size matters for you... number of cylinders and displacement?

and Majorly budget.

land rover didn't design it they are sharing it with BMW and in cold weather it's running perfect and it's all most the same design used for most of electronically controlled all wheel drive like Ford explorer & expedition and Chevrolet trail blazer and taho and nissan patrol and Toyota land cruiser but the type of belts and actuators varies.

Edited by Saleem
additional details
  • Like (+1) 1

Hi Saleem, thanks for nicely explaining the limitations.

TBH, I am highly influence with Land Rover as a brand, but I have no preference on door, seats, engine, brand or luxury. Anything within the budget of 40-50k should be enough. All I want is capable desert ride that can take me and my wife (occasionally) everywhere we want. Some minor off-road mods is fine, but I am not big fan of extreme modifications.