•  
Advertise here

What's going on today?

Barry

A dry sump system keeps the engine oil in a separate remote tank rather than in a sump below the engine. It has a few advantages,

Because you don't have a huge sump below the engine, you can fit the engine lower in the car which gives you a lower centre of gravity, improving handling. 

Sometimes when you go around a corner fast, the oil sloshes to one side of a standard sump, possibly uncovering the oil pickup pipe and causing oil starvation and possible engine damage. 

The crankshaft never gets dipped in oil which could have an effect on horsepower. 

Basically, because racecar. 

Perhaps some of the 4x4/offroad guys on the forum could give you better information on lift kits than I can. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Barry said:

The crankshaft never gets dipped in oil which could have an effect on horsepower.

Crankshafts never come into contact with the oil in standard sumps anyway, not because it affects horsepower, but because a rotating crankshaft whips the oil into a foam, much like a whisk beats air into cream to make it stiff. When this happens the oil pick up can't "lift" the oil out of the sump, which means that the engine is starved of lubrication.

5 minutes ago, gautam said:

Crankshafts never come into contact with the oil in standard sumps anyway, not because it affects horsepower, but because a rotating crankshaft whips the oil into a foam, much like a whisk beats air into cream to make it stiff. When this happens the oil pick up can't "lift" the oil out of the sump, which means that the engine is starved of lubrication.

The only lubricant which comes in contact with crank shaft is oil either by touching (dipping) in early old engines or by oil drips from engine head as it was the only way to spray oil below pistons (lower part from combustion chamber) before using sprinklers (with check valves and pressure control valves) even dry sump have a metal cover below crank shaft with leveled drain holes to keep a minimal level to lubricate crank.

when you mix vegetarian oil with air you can have a mayonnaise (and you still need to add an egg to the mix)

but mineral oil and synthetic would not make that foam unless it have water, sugar or egg!!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Saleem said:

when you mix vegetarian oil with air you can have a mayonnaise (and you still need to add an egg to the mix)

Don't forget the vinegar. I'm told the organic variety works best.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2016 at 11:40 PM, treks said:

Don't forget the vinegar. I'm told the organic variety works best.

and some spices with herbs and some green vegetables and we have a healthy green salad and next step to trade our oil burners with green hybrid cars LOL......

Good Luck with the green life...........Don't count on me I'm out burning oil and spiting fire!!   a piston head to the grave!!

@Barry this is not allowed to post my beloved beauty's pic when in ICU. :-(

I think @DiamondDallas also believe the same, Diamond let's get together and sue @Barry lol.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.