•  
Advertise here

Mitsubishi lying about the fuel economy numbers all this long

After VW cheating, now Mitsubishi news of faking their fuel mileage is kicking up storm in the market. What is wrong with these car manufacturers and why they lie and cheat consumers who is paying for their products, research, premium, pensions etc. 

Some real big super heavy fines should be imposed that their company should learn their lesson for the generation to come.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/mitsubishi-continued-botch-fuel-economy-data-scandal-broke/

mitsubishi.JPG

Car makers the world over have been lying about fuel consumption figures since the car was invented. Even when they do make even halfway accurate claims, their figures are based on tests at sea level where the air is thicker.

The best way to get accurate figures is to visit car forums, and ask the people who actually own the car you are interested in how much fuel the vehicle uses based on town and highway driving conditions in the real world.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/20/2016 at 7:05 PM, gautam said:

Car makers the world over have been lying about fuel consumption figures since the car was invented. Even when they do make even halfway accurate claims, their figures are based on tests at sea level where the air is thicker.

The best way to get accurate figures is to visit car forums, and ask the people who actually own the car you are interested in how much fuel the vehicle uses based on town and highway driving conditions in the real world.

and with windows closed and AC off and mostly below 20 C climate and with winter tires (higher wall size offering longer distance per tire rotation and slime road touching surface offering lower fraction to the road surface and less power needed for speed and finally a lab certified fuel grade which is not available as fuel quality varies due to countries laws and availability and varies due to climate. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree with both of you and why they are not forced to update their tall claims based on the country and climate they are selling. That way at least it will be reasonably close gap and not huge variance what my owners manual says and what my fuel bill says.

After all these false claims we will still drive cars produced by liars, as grown ups we know that many factors affect fuel consumption. After cribbing for some time we will all go back living our normal lives, buying cars, filling them up at fuel stations and driving them knowing we are never going to achieve the fuel figures the manufacturers claim.

• Like (+1) 1

With a professional engineering you can reach even better efficiency than factory:

Air filters, Spark plugs, tires type and size, battery type and size, coolant and mechanical condition.

I managed to drive a 2008 Ford focus 1.6 L 6.6L per 100 Km

and 2011 VW Golf 1.4TSI 5.8L per 100 Km

A fine tuning and good driving habits make a huge fuel saving.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with you Saleem, but if you have to modify than you are spending extra cash, how much would be that saving to make spending so much worth the fuel cost saved. With the OBD available for certain cars you can set it for fuel efficiency which makes the car more sluggish but improves fuel economy. I believe the only way to save fuel without spending the extra cash is by improving your driving styles. As I have been driving for the past 22+ years and have gone through a lot of models and makes, the best way to improve you driving habits is by using an American or European car which gives you feedback on how much fuel is being used in certain driving styles and if you are cautious you can use those figures to your advantage. The Japanese makes never show these statstistics and thus you might never learn. For example in traffic most of us would speed up for a while and than brake and than speed up again, whereas to save fuel, keep your distance and drive at a constant speed. This way if the traffic is slowing up more than you anticipated you just let the gas pedal go and once the traffic is moving again step gently on the gas pedal again. It takes lot less energy to keep a moving car in motion than to start it from speed zero.

Just my 2 fils. BTW I got a Jeep Commander 5.7 Hemi V8 to give me 12.5 liters per 100 Kms all by changing my driving style and no other mods.

• Like (+1) 2