•  
Advertise here

Tried diesel engine oil in petrol Land Rover?

So someone on a forum put in a different type of oil other than what was recommended by the manufacturer and the engine didn't blow up. No dyno print outs, no before and after pics of crankshaft bearings, no pics of the oil filters cut open and unfolded etc, no solid evidence, just a feeling.   🤔

Im still not sold on the idea. If the manufacturer thought it would be a good idea to use a different type of oil, they would have put it in at the factory or issued a TSB saying it was ok to do so. 

Manufacturers and oil companies spend millions on research. People trying these things for fun are just experimenting and accepting the consequences if their engines die. I know where my faith lies. 

@BarryYou are right, I have no experience, just trying to share information regarding a question put up, without documented proof. Everyone has the right to their opinion and right to ask for proof without which its difficult to believe.

@amitaj You are also correct you do not know us and you have the right not to believe us. I apologize for any comments which might have offended you, I have no technical knowledge nor any experience with oils. Just thought since the question came up and I have seen my friend do it to share his experience. As Barry rightfully mentioned there should be some documented proof for the writeup to have any weightage. Let me see if Junaid is still around and if he has any before and after pics to help determine if what he is saying is actually true.

Very sneaky Gaurav, very sneaky indeed, by tagging me, so I get a notification and get dragged into this ! LOL

Gaurav, Rahim bhai how are you guys, loooong time no see! And thank you Rahim bhai for remembering me and your kind words and bothering to look up my old posts

Yes, (unfortunately for some) I am very real and these are my actual experiences, Although having sold the Disco 1 I still Diesel Oil on my catless Range Rover P38 which is now sitting comfortable at 220k kms. There is a lot of research gone into this, specially by hot rod community in the US. Because most old school muscle cars also use flat tappet push rod engines. Just google ZDDP. Now big oil companies are coming out with oil formulas with added ZDDP just for these cars out there. So its not some thing I made up ? Technically the LR V8 is a 60s Buick Engine with LR bought the rights to, and practically remained unchanged till it last production run. 

And for people making noise about sticking to "manufacturer" specs, how many of them even bother to read the owners manual, eh ? I can bet 90% don't even know the recommended tyre pressure of their cars ? That brake oil needs to be flushed and replaced every 3 years, coolant every year or two, ( figures may vary ) etc etc. 

Or every bothered reading the owners manual ?  Do you even know what engine oil is being put into your motor ? Or you just go to the gas station he asks, You want the 3000kms, 5000kms or 10000kms oil in your car ?

Since we are talking LRs here a shot, attached below from the manual for the Range Rover, for countries with temps from 0-40C + use 10-60w oil, and if you read further on it says countries with hot and dusty climates ( which is considered extreme duty by most manufacturers ) an oil change is recommended every 5000kms, when normal oil change ( as in European and North American climate ) interval for the same vehicle is 10,000kms. So how many are using 10-60w ?

L322 Range Rovers, Audis, VWs, BMWs and many more all which use the newer ZF transmissions come with "sealed for life" engine oil, yet the world is filled with people whose transmissions have given up the ghost anywhere from between 100-160k kms. And yet ZF themselves sell  replacement transmission oil and filters, and when questioned about their sealed for life boxes, they simply say its the life of the box and not the car, and they estimate the life of one to be around 100k miles after which it needs to be serviced. There is even a huge neo green sticker on the ZF boxes which mention the oil part number.

My other Range Rover has a built in oil service countdown and once reset, it shows next oil change after 25,000kms !!!! Now if I want to destroy my motor I will follow what the "manufacturer recommended". My new RR takes only fully synthetic ( i.e expensive ) oil, but I still change it every 5k rather than the "recommended" 25k by the car itself. Oh and in the manuals and even the oii cap says use only Castrol oils...right !!!

So don't just blindly follow "manufacturers recommendations" use your own 2 cents as well

Engine oil 2.jpg

Edited by desertdude

Wow what a hot thread. I am sweating now.

@amitaj hope your curiosity is answered now thanks to desertdude to explain very wisely. Well said and explained @desertdude and @Rahimdad. I like to know if Hyundai Sportage 2012 model is flat tappet design or not?

I understand your fear in online forum (not all is true), but when someone experienced (3 folks) saying same thing then you got to believe it mate.

No Brandan, the sportage does not use a flat tappet motor.

And I thought I just put these links right here, in case anyone is interested.

http://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/flat-tappet-cams-in-classic-cars/

https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/classic-and-vintage/articles/reduced-zddp-and-wear-protection/

I happen to know something about both engines and oil, but I still fail to see the connection between diesel oil and the so-called "flat tappet" engine.

What is a "flat tappet" engine exactly, and what makes diesel oil the preferred oil to use in such engines? In my professional experience, the shape of the tappet has nothing to do with how the both the tappet and the camshaft wears when the wrong oil  is used, but then again, I have  always used oils recommended by the manufacturers, so I have no experience with using oil in engines that were not designed to use that oil.

So can anybody help me out here, and explain about this "flat tappet" business? And when exactly zinc was banned as a friction modifier? Or why the molecules in synthetic oil are all of the same size? 

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Thanks @Barry, but I knew that. However, I was trying to figure out the connection between flat tappets and the use of diesel oil in petrol engines, especially  since more than 95% of internal combustion engines ever made during the last 100 years or so have, or have had, flat tappets.

By implication, this means that almost all petrol engines can (according to some posters here) be run on diesel oil, which is clearly a ridiculous notion. 

In my professional opinion, the idea that diesel oil can be used in any petrol engine without damaging the engine is bad advice, and I would advise the poster(s) who advocate this practice to research the topic properly before some innocent soul ruins an engine because they listened to an uninformed opinion.