•  
Advertise here

my experience at Location Garage

slick72

Hi All,

I had a Lumina SS with crazy coolant leak (from Radiator , hose and what not !!!) this happened on a late Thursday evening .... I called Ali of Location Garage as it was close to where I was at that time . He gave me numbers of Barry , Gullu { the resident Mech ...;)} advised me contact them Barry sent me the location ... diagnosis ...cant drive no easy fix ... Gullu advised me to leave the car and he offered to have me dropped as I was required to be at Dubai Islamic Bank Barsha mall ( to have the documents signed for car loan for the present Xterra ) The next day Barry informed that the damage was Extensive  ( new water pump couple of water hoses ) and was planning to sell the cars anyways asked if I could leave it for a couple of days till I have it carted away to the salvage yard and they accepted ....Bill AED 00.00 , had a loaner from my friend Mitsu Nativa with AC not working which and issue with improper pully clearance and  gas   sorted out and frosty AC ....bill AED 70.00 .... after a lot of running around got Xterra ... first service at 80 K KMS .... Bill AED 40.00 ( Oil and filter OE Nissan AED175.00 ) What really impressed me was they even geased the door hinges ( I never expected and they were bone dry ) Barry did a free idle relearn .... as my previous post about RPM was still in Barry's memory.

Thank you Gullu , Barry !

Drive / Drive safe !

Slick72

Edited by slick72
  • Like (+1) 2

Thanks for sharing your experience, we as humans tend to complaint when things don't go right or are not done the right way, however very few who take time to appreciate the efforts of a fellow human being. Well done Slick, and amazing work Barry and team.

Hi All,

All Jap vehicle have to follow 10 k kms oil change as per this news 

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2015/09/19/uae-car-service-intervals-made-every-10000-km-by-law/

but Nissan says that vehicles purchased after Dec 2015 are eligible for such oil change ..... is there a change in the material used in engine manufacturing or the oil is of different quality ? if its different quality then I should also be using them ( Logic!!!)  the OE oil is Synthetic can I have the interval extended to 10 k kms?

Rahimdad : As you said its better to appriciate if experience good service !

Drive / Ride safe !

Slick72

Thank you too @slick72 it's always a pleasure to have you in. 

@Rahimdad you're right. People like to complain and rarely say when something goes right. 

The whole 3k, 5k, 10k oil change thing is a load of crap and a scam to con people out of money. I never heard of it until I came to UAE and I've been doing this for 15 years. Put in the oil recommended by the manufacturer and change it when the the manufacturer recommends you change it. Anything else is just asking for trouble. Good oil is 20 dirhams more expensive than crap oil. Why risk it?

• Like (+1) 1

Hi all,

What is the time scale for changing the transmission fluid ( will it cover the transfer case i.e are they connected ? or is it a stand alone unit ?) and Dif oil for Nissan Xterra , Just did my 80 k kms service .

Drive /Ride safe !

Slick72

First of all depends on what you want to do, do you want a drain and refill or a system flush. Because of you just drain the current oil you get around 50-60% old oil out, because the other %tage of the oil is in the torque converter. A system flush replaces all the old oil with the new, is more challenging hence takes longer, and while you are at it, change your tranny oil filter as well.

And no Xcase is a separate job, they tranny and Xcase are only linked mechanically and do not share the internals.

Have a look at the oil firsts if it is still pinkish in colour and smells a little sweetish then its fine and a filter change and just a drain and refill should be sufficient, if its getting darker or brownish and smells burnt then better flush it.

Front and rear diff oil is also not a bad idea, one of the most neglected oil changes over here.

On 11/1/2016 at 8:15 PM, slick72 said:

Hi all,

What is the time scale for changing the transmission fluid ( will it cover the transfer case i.e are they connected ? or is it a stand alone unit ?) and Dif oil for Nissan Xterra , Just did my 80 k kms service .

Drive /Ride safe !

Slick72

Don't you Never Ever change your Transmission Oil

Trust me on this, it will be your worse nightmare ever!

Don't open doors of hell that you won't ever like..

Transmission Oils were built up for lifetime, no need to worry about it, except when you feel that there is a problem with the Transmission, then you'll think of it, otherwise, just leave it, it's meant to work forever.

No my friend, no such things as lifetime oil, they are not made of unicorn farts. The problem you must have had in the past is that nowadays most used specialized oil and you just can't dump regular ATF in them but unfortunately most So called mechanics here couldn't tell their elbow from their a.hole and just fill it up with the regular stuff and that soon leads to problems, big problems!

80-100k is a good interval to change Tranny oil

Edited by desertdude

I once changed the transmission oil for my Land Cruiser, after that i've changed it three times, it's a no touch zone, maybe after 150k yeah, you might want to change it if you've noticed something wrong with the gear.

But in general it is a no touch zone, because you will suffer a lot after changing it, besides who keeps a car in UAE more than 150k, most people use their cars for a short period of time & sell their cars, whether it's for heading back to country, no time to use the car, upgrade, many reasons.

So better keep off that area.